The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Found the source of my burning smell after driving...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sort of.

(I am reposting this from TMS for owner awareness.)

I had this faint burning smell whenever parking the car after driving, some other posts on here said it might be factory rust inhibitor burning off or something so I didn't think too much of it.

Well earlier this week I notice a very small puddle or residue on the garage floor. Initially I thought it was just condensation from the AC compressor or something, so I didn't look at it too close, but tonight I jacked up the car and found this:

atXSh.jpg

uWD7z.jpg

4U9zE.jpg

KkE7z.jpg

9XE0y.jpg

Pretty sure it's transmission fluid. It's the color of enigne oil, but there is nothing anywhere on the engine or upper bellhousing. The engine oil level is exactly where it should be. Only on the transmission back, all the way to the trans crossmember, and all over the driver's side exhaust and heat shields (hello burning smell!) Looks like it is coming from the top or upper driver's side of the trans itself

Looks to be coming down from the top of the trans, it is all over the driver's side of the trans and the DS exhaust.

Looks like I'm headed to the dealer this weekend to have them pull my transmission out...

Anyone else that has a faint burning smell after driving should take a look under their car ASAP.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sounds like there is some sort of vent on top of the trans, it is probably just overfilled.

Most likely just going to have the dealer clean and inspect, then drain and refill to proper capacity.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I had a similar issue. If you are on the Boss 302 Forum:

http://www.boss302forum.com/index.php?/topic/13484-transmission-leaking/

Turns out I had a faulty vent valve/assembly. Ford ended up having the car for 2 weeks to diagnose / have Ford tech sign off on the repair. At the same time, they destroyed my shift know (used a pipe wrench to remove) and stripped two bolts on the catalytic convertor. As of last week I finally have all of the parts replaced on the car and no more leaks.

Hose it off and watch it. If it stops, then it was probably overfill. If it doesn't, then you most likely have the same issue I had.

John.

Had NASCAR blow out passing a BMW when my vent opened! 350 miles on my LS, shifting to 4th at 7,000! You can read the whole story at boss302fourm. John had a bigger problem then I did. My LS has 600 on her now. I had posted on the other site to check for over filled fluilds.

KYBOSSLS

Well looks like I have the same problem, trans leaking. 1250 miles on the clock. What can you do but take it in and have them fix it. I do not like takeing it in to the shop, but well they better not f it up. Any others having the same issue?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sorry--forgot to update this thread. Ford fixed the issue w/ the updated vent part. Takes about 1.5 days of downtime but the outside of the trans is dry as a bone and no more fluid on the exhaust.

Head to the dealer and get the fix!

First check your brake fluid level, mine was filled to the top, but the vent opened up under a hard acceleration! Made a big mess, I have not replaced this vent as of today, 850 miles, no leaks.

KYBOSSLS said:
First check your brake fluid level, mine was filled to the top, but the vent opened up under a hard acceleration! Made a big mess, I have not replaced this vent as of today, 850 miles, no leaks.
Was it venting from the fill cap? What "vent" are talking about? Brake fluid will take your paint off so if it is leaking from the cap you'll want to clean it up ASAP. I leave my fluid level about halfway between the top of the reservoir and the seam in the center and haven't had it vent since then. I only had this happen on the track though under heavy braking. I'm not sure how a "hard acceleration" would cause brake fluid to vent.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
jeepinocala said:
Let me ask this as for trans fluid do you have an automatic or do they even makes these in automatic?

No...

I was told at the shop that the fluid came from the slave cylinder and there is a vent on top of tranny, the brake fluid is being shared, this what I was told. Yes brake fluid will remove paint, spent hours after this happen cleaning the Boss, under and top. Could not believe this happened to my only new Mustang, but I have gotten over it, still a great big smile when I drive the Boss.

KYBOSSLS said:
I was told at the shop that the fluid came from the slave cylinder and there is a vent on top of tranny, the brake fluid is being shared, this what I was told. Yes brake fluid will remove paint, spent hours after this happen cleaning the Boss, under and top. Could not believe this happened to my only new Mustang, but I have gotten over it, still a great big smile when I drive the Boss.

I hard not to get a great big smile with these BOSSes.

TMO Supporting Vendors