The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FP 5.0L and 5.2L Gen2 Water Pump with 30% increase in flow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.2L "GEN 2" WATER PUMP KIT
Retail: $210.00
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-8501-M52A

waterpump.jpg

Performance water pump kit for 2011-2019 5.0L and 2015-2019 5.2L engines. Pump delivers 30% improvement in flow over standard pump. Kit is comprised of OEM components with minimum allowable tolerances to promote longevity.

Includes:
Water pump
Water pump pulley
Attachment hardware (4 bolt pulley to pump attachment)

Last edited:
Doesn't higher flow almost always mean more parasitic Hp loss. It was back in the old days.

High Flow Water Pumps & Overdrive Pulleys
https://shop.championcooling.com/articles/high-flow-water-pump

from the article - Smitty Smith from Edelbrock

"Generally speaking, higher flow and higher pressure is beneficial to the cooling system," he told us. "Higher pressure in particular raises the boiling point of the fluid, thus decreasing the likelihood of vapor forming in the coolant. This results in better cooling, rounder cylinders, cooler valves, etc. Higher flow rates (up to a point) will increase the heat rejection from the radiator."

- personally, I will take all I can get in this area for the GT350 -

With all of these benefits, it made us wonder if these high performance pumps will help with overheating. Smitty said, "If the problem is not coolant flow related, a water pump upgrade will not improve performance significantly. Meaning, if you have a poor fan setup, adding a better water pump will not fix the problem." But he also says, "The idea that too much water flow causes overheating is a myth." That means that having a high flow or high volume pump doesn't cause the water to pass through the radiator too quickly for it to be properly cooled.

Smitty continued, "There is a whole lot of science behind heat exchangers, but the bottom line is that more flow will never cause a decrease in cooling performance. But, there is definitely diminishing returns. Increasing coolant flow is good, but adding excessive additional coolant flow (too much overdrive) will cost horsepower to drive it, but not increase cooling capacity."

There is more in the article

TX
Has anyone heard if they fixed the pulley on this one? When I installed it before they found out about the pulley issue, it made a horrendous squealing noise.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I bought it after this thread and It seems fine with about two hours of drive time. I didn't knotice any extra cooler temps but I was only breaking in a clutch.

TX
I am running this water pump with MMR Aluminum pulley. No issues after a season of running.

When did you get yours?

I believe they did. I had to wait for 6 month for mine because of this.
Just received it 2 weeks ago and installed it with the MMR pulley.
Alignment looks good but won't be able to test it before spring.

hmmm. Sounds like the fix might not have been the pulley itself, but the output shaft that it attaches to? Mines about 13 months old. Hmm

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
When did you get yours?

hmmm. Sounds like the fix might not have been the pulley itself, but the output shaft that it attaches to? Mines about 13 months old. Hmm
December 2019 . Probably the first one available along with the GT500 oil pan from Blue Oval Industries.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
High Flow Water Pumps & Overdrive Pulleys
https://shop.championcooling.com/articles/high-flow-water-pump

from the article - Smitty Smith from Edelbrock

"Generally speaking, higher flow and higher pressure is beneficial to the cooling system," he told us. "Higher pressure in particular raises the boiling point of the fluid, thus decreasing the likelihood of vapor forming in the coolant. This results in better cooling, rounder cylinders, cooler valves, etc. Higher flow rates (up to a point) will increase the heat rejection from the radiator."

- personally, I will take all I can get in this area for the GT350 -

With all of these benefits, it made us wonder if these high performance pumps will help with overheating. Smitty said, "If the problem is not coolant flow related, a water pump upgrade will not improve performance significantly. Meaning, if you have a poor fan setup, adding a better water pump will not fix the problem." But he also says, "The idea that too much water flow causes overheating is a myth." That means that having a high flow or high volume pump doesn't cause the water to pass through the radiator too quickly for it to be properly cooled.

Smitty continued, "There is a whole lot of science behind heat exchangers, but the bottom line is that more flow will never cause a decrease in cooling performance. But, there is definitely diminishing returns. Increasing coolant flow is good, but adding excessive additional coolant flow (too much overdrive) will cost horsepower to drive it, but not increase cooling capacity."

There is more in the article
be nice to know what GPH@RPM these pumps are.

There was an issue with these earlier on as they were being shipped with different offsets of the pulley mounting face. The Predator and Coyote have different offsets when it comes to that. Some were also coming with and without pulleys and that is still happening recently as I have found installing four of these already with my personal one still on the shelf. Ultimately the predator one can be pressed closer to the pump housing to match up with the stock coyote one (easy with a press). Just check alignment Is the best advice I can say.

Here are some pics of what I’m talking about. These are both Predator GT500 water pumps. The one installed on the block is a ‘Coyote’ offset and that one came with a pulley. The top one is the Predator spec and it came with no pulley. BOTH kits came as same part number and water pump kits.

716FA25E-5F3F-412A-B7B9-5E052F560DA4.jpeg7CDE95DC-5F0E-40EC-A797-EC057F065051.jpeg

Leo Capaldi

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Detroit
There was an issue with these earlier on as they were being shipped with different offsets of the pulley mounting face. The Predator and Coyote have different offsets when it comes to that. Some were also coming with and without pulleys and that is still happening recently as I have found installing four of these already with my personal one still on the shelf. Ultimately the predator one can be pressed closer to the pump housing to match up with the stock coyote one (easy with a press). Just check alignment Is the best advice I can say.

Here are some pics of what I’m talking about. These are both Predator GT500 water pumps. The one installed on the block is a ‘Coyote’ offset and that one came with a pulley. The top one is the Predator spec and it came with no pulley. BOTH kits came as same part number and water pump kits.

View attachment 60934View attachment 60935
There was a 3.5mm difference

TX

View attachment 60934View attachment 60935

Damn, brother. I feel like an idiot for never comparing depth of the pulley mounting surface. Ha! Thanks for sharing. I'll press mine on further and go with that one :)

IMG_1292.JPEG

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Just used my hydraulic press to get the height right. Mine had about 8 mm difference. No wonder I had issues. Now hopefully it still works. If only I had a motor to install it into :)
How did you support the shaft to not damage the impeller on the press?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel