The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FP 5.0L and 5.2L Gen2 Water Pump with 30% increase in flow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did you support the shaft to not damage the impeller on the press?

Most presses have free moving adjustable plates. Use those plates to just support the back of the housing level and stable with the impeller being protected. The pulley mounting plate moves quite easily when the press is bearing down. Just place a socket over the shaft so it doesn’t get pressed. Does that make sense? I wish I took a pic when I did It. I still have that other one to do so maybe I will then.

TX
How did you support the shaft to not damage the impeller on the press?

Fortunately my press had the right spacing that the propeller fit inside the supports

BB6AABAA-291F-4BF5-A2BB-4CA6C09EF16D.jpegD9B7EEEC-5865-44A8-B618-938AAD11A4FF.jpeg

No problem. Just be sure to measure from the bottom of the housing base. The gt500 impeller is a bit thicker. You may have it perfect but double check.

Yep. I measured from the mounting surface to the housing. I’ll double check once it’s installed. Fingers crossed. Thanks brother!

Last edited:

Leo Capaldi

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Detroit
TX
When you pressed it like that did the shaft extend out of the impeller more?

Not on mine. It took very little pressure to push the mounting surface on further. Was really easy. Took maybe 30 seconds total ha

Leo Capaldi

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Detroit
Not on mine. It took very little pressure to push the mounting surface on further. Was really easy. Took maybe 30 seconds total ha
There are plenty ways to do it but timage.png This is the recommended way to support the pump shaft when pressing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
So that must be why the web page for the pump says "Water pump pulley pressed on the correct Coyote depth."

Leo Capaldi

Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Detroit
Just ordered one of these from Capaldi. Let's see what shows up.
Has anyone heard if they fixed the pulley on this one? When I installed it before they found out about the pulley issue, it made a horrendous squealing noise.
They have been updated. We have already sent out a few

I had a chat with Ford Performance to see what actually comes in the kit based on the split reports of it coming with a pulley or not. They told me the package would include the following: The water pump itself, the belt pulley, and 4 mounting bolts to the block. I asked them if it came with the o-ring gasket, to which they said it didn't.

Here is what I received:
20210110_110018.jpg
The kit is very complete. It comes with the pump and the 4 mounting bolts, which are the two things pictured on the website, as well as the 3 bolts needed to mount the pulley to the pulley flange, and the o-ring gasket comes pre-installed.

Based on the helpful pictures from @Equinsu and @honeybadger, it also appears that the pulley flange is pressed to the correct depth, as @lcr mentioned all the new ones shipping out would be.
20210110_110130.jpg
It feels really cool that the part number is electro-penciled on. Makes it feel like a skunkworks prototype.
(Perhaps they tag it 'C'M for the 'C'oyote-depth version? Just baseless speculation... ;))

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The price difference with shipping between Ford and Capaldi wasn't enough for me to care. Looks good. I can't wait for mine to get here so I can start installing the cooling system parts that are accumulating. What is the impeller made of?

The price difference with shipping between Ford and Capaldi wasn't enough for me to care. Looks good. I can't wait for mine to get here so I can start installing the cooling system parts that are accumulating. What is the impeller made of?
I'm always searching for the best price, since this water pump was effectively free from the money I saved in the last couple months tracking the deals I could find. It stacks up fast and I'm a Summit-price-match abuser ☺.

The impeller is some sort of sturdy polymer, but I'm not sure of the exact composition/blend. Either way, it looks and feels beefy with nice wall thicknesses. One of the photos I took this morning, mostly of the gasket, but you can see the impeller in it:
20210110_110221.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I'm always searching for the best price
Me too. Except when the vender is a contributor here. Capaldi is not yet a "Supporting Vender" as in those listed in the market place. Although post #25 and 28 are from Capaldi as a member. To me these are both very important.
OP doesn't always have the best prices although very close. Tim and Kelly have been patient with me and have always treated me well. What does that mean? When I made a mistake...or two. Kelly walked me through the issue in a kind professional manner. That to me is worth the price of admission. You will have to answer the question, "is the few dollars saved worth more than the assistance they give us"? Would you have bought If LCR had not posted above? Don't know.
Cortex, Apex Wheels, Auto Blip, South Florida Ford Parts, and KNS have Always answer the phone when I called and given me Honest advice when I ask. To me, there is value in that.

I am anxious to see if the new pump helps lower operating temps.

Last edited:
Me too. Except when the vender is a contributor here. Capaldi is not yet a "Supporting Vender" as in those listed in the market place. Although post #25 and 28 are from Capaldi as a member. To me these are both very important.
OP doesn't always have the best prices although very close. Tim and Kelly have been patient with me and have always treated my well. What does that mean? When I made a mistake...or two. Kelly walked me through the issue in a kind professional manner. That to me is worth the price of admission. You will have to answer the question, "is the few dollars saved worth more than the assistance they give us"? Would you have bought If LCR had not posted above? Don't know.
Cortex, Apex Wheels, Auto Blip, South Florida Ford Parts, and KNS have Always answer the phone when I called and given me Honest advice when I ask. To me, there is value in that.

I am anxious to see if the new pump helps lower operating temps.
Absolutely. I wasn't aware Capaldi was a forum vendor since, like you mentioned, he isn't listed yet. While I wholeheartedly understand and agree, I also see no problem with supporting the manufacturer of the parts themselves (in the same way you may buy Cortex items from Filip directly, rather than a reseller), seeing as I expect them to also provide good service and follow up should I have an actual issue.

I did have this pump on my investigation list since they became available, though my purchase was based on the photos @Equinsu and @honeybadger. I'll pay more attention to Capaldi's offerings in the future. Apologies to @lcr, since I didn't read your signature beforehand.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I'm always searching for the best price, since this water pump was effectively free from the money I saved in the last couple months tracking the deals I could find. It stacks up fast and I'm a Summit-price-match abuser ☺.

The impeller is some sort of sturdy polymer, but I'm not sure of the exact composition/blend. Either way, it looks and feels beefy with nice wall thicknesses. One of the photos I took this morning, mostly of the gasket, but you can see the impeller in it:
View attachment 61045
Thanks, I didn't think it looked like metal in the pictures I saw. I don't like over paying either, but I look for the best value, which isn't always the lowest price. I value customer service and tech help and don't mind paying a bit more for it. I have only been on this forum a short time, but purchased from some of the supporting vendors previously due to service and tech help.

Thanks, I didn't think it looked like metal in the pictures I saw. I don't like over paying either, but I look for the best value, which isn't always the lowest price. I value customer service and tech help and don't mind paying a bit more for it. I have only been on this forum a short time, but purchased from some of the supporting vendors previously due to service and tech help.
I believe they're polymer in most newer vehicles, probably a mix of not needing to care about any corrosion issues and manufacturing cost, but I could be mistaken.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
For those who haven't seen Capaldi's thread yet:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I am not sure when they changed, but mine came with a 3 bolt steel pulley like in the pictures in a previous post. My car originally had a 4 bolt pulley as well. I just used the included pulley for now until I can get a 3 bolt aluminum pulley.

TMO Supporting Vendors