The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FP350S Metal Inner Fender

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saved off the video that American Muscle made at the Ford Performance facility where they showed the FP350S being made. I was interested in the details to the front radiator/oil cooler ducting work that Watson provided. I have some video software that allows me to go frame by frame by frame and save of jpgs.

Ran across two things so this that is new to me.

First of all, it seems that the grill opening is wide open. I know from the BOM that they used the R grill but there is a block off plate that closes down the opening limiting the amount of air coming through the radiator. I believe that the R opening is even smaller then the normal 350. Took snap shot and had to really lighten the picture to get at what I was after but guess what, no block off plate at all.

FR350S - Radiator Ducting 3.jpg

Now here is the next odd thing. It seems that they cut holes in the metal inner fenders. I mean the metal that makes up the inner fender. I don’t believe that these are structural in nature so I don’t see a problem with this. In the end less weight. What I find so interesting is the amount of metal they removed and the placement. I find the hole just in front of the shock tower interesting. This might solve the problem of routing brake hose ducting. I guess the only problem might be the air box on the drivers side. Would need to get the airbox out and take a much closer look.

Drive side:

Driver Inner Fender 3.jpg

The one behind the oil cooler (stock – they use it for the trans cooler) is huge.

Another angle
Driver Inner Fender 2.jpg

Only shot from the inside looking outward – the hole is right by the airbox
Driver Inner Fender - Inside.jpg

Passenger side – again the hole behind the trans cooler is huge
Passenger Inner Fender 2.jpg

Passenger Inner Fender.jpg

Is it structurally safe to attempt something like this? A 4inch hole in front of the shock tower? I would assume yes, especially round hole.

Does anyone know if the FP350S uses the rubber/plastic inner fender liner?

Interested in comments

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors