The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FP350S or GT4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I own 3 awesome serialized Boss 302R’s made by Ford/MultiMatic and love them but it might be time to upgrade to a FP350S or a GT4.

GT4 running costs scare me a bit....

Thoughts?

If you want ultimate lap times at (significant) cost premium go for the GT4. Parts replacement will be $$$ but it’s a unique car, especially if you go the non restricted route (more $$$).

For 90% of the performance and half the cost go for the FP350S. Way lower parts replacement costs and selecting a few GT4/other upgrades will make it faster for a fraction of the GT4 cost differential.

If you want to race, then it depends on the series. NASA, go with FP350S. SCCA, depends on what happens with regs for 2020. IMSA: GT4

Track days: FP350S

Last edited:
sfo
If you want to race, then it depends on the series. NASA, go with FP350S. SCCA, depends on what happens with regs for 2020. IMSA: GT4

Track days: FP350S

SCCA sucks for those kinds of cars. All the real racecars are lumped into GTX class which is not even a national class. Basically, real racecars are hard to class and when one shows up in a class with converted streetcars everyone looses their minds. So since there are so few GTX class cars they figure that keeps the peace. In other words there is no SCCA class for the coolest cars. But your 20 year old C5 corvette is competitive!

GT4 hands down if you want a truly different car.

The Fp350s Is to similar to a 302R in Prep in my opinion to make a it a truly different driving experience. The Gt4 On the other hand is an all out race car with Bosch ABS, Sequential, Manual Brakes, Pedal Box, traction control and the list goes on and on.

Only 90% of a GT4? I thought it might be a bit closer.

I want a FP350S with the new Tremec DCT.

Only 90% of a GT4? I thought it might be a bit closer.

I want a FP350S with the new Tremec DCT.

That would be a great car then, But with a Manual and Stock ECU/Harness The Fp350s doesnt do much for me for the price. Pretty much a Gt350 with a cage and cross plane engine. I think it would be more fairly priced at 80k.

No question the GT4 is a special car, and with the intake swapped to the 350 intake, LT headers and a tune it is a real weapon.

FP350S pricing is about what it would cost to build a similar car yourself and compared to the retail of 302S/R's about right.

2014 seam welded 302S's retailed at $100k -- sure prices dropped with the launch of the GT350, but to make an S competitive you'd have to add a cambered rear axle for $10k. Allowing for inflation and that the FP has Motec rather than AIM, pricing seems about right to me.

However, for a Track Day car there's now a better price/performance option: GT500. I'll wager it will be quicker by a good margin than the FP350S, and with some mods will give the GT4 a run for it's money.

It's good to have that many choices!!

Agree with you about $. Building a track car isn’t cheap. Even if you do it yourself.

Hopefully Ford doesn't screw its customers with the 2020 GT500 like Chevy did with with the 2015 Z07 Corvette. Z07 should have been a great track day car but it was not due to overheating.

Gt500 is still a street car. And a very heavy one at that. Wonder how she will hold up after 100+ hrs of hard track use. I want one either way.

TMO Supporting Vendors