The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FR 500 PS Cooler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
MT-82 trans. Not fully installed but here is the idea;
1) Mount cooler in stock location in front of A/C condensor lower grille opening.
2) Use 1/2" barb fittings and 1/2" high pressure trans cooler hose to adapt the cooler barbs to -8 AN fittings.
3) Route -8AN braided hose from upper fitting on cooler to drain plug location. Connect using 16mm to -8 AN male fitting and 90 degree -8 elbow.
4) Mount tilton lube transfer pump in area formerly occupied by battery. Wire to 30 AMP relay and switch mounted on center console.
5) Route -8 hose from trans fill port using 16mm to -8 male fitting and -8 90 to discharge side of pump
6) Route -8 hose from inlet side of pump to lower fitting on cooler.
7) Plumb in -8 30 micron filter with fitting for 1/8" gauge sensor in the line between the coller and pump inlet.

The idea is to cool the fluid before pulling it through the pump and circulating the cooled fluid back into the trans. I have the -8 male fittings already installed in the trans with AN caps on them, they clear the tunnel and ground clearance is no lower than the bottom of the headers or trans scoop.
I checked the inside of the fill hole with the trans in all gears and there is no obstruction to fluid being pumped in so it should work pretty much like the diff cooler I set up in a similar fashion.
Will post some pics as soon as I get back to work on it.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
MT-82 trans. Not fully installed but here is the idea;
1) Mount cooler in stock location in front of A/C condensor lower grille opening.
2) Use 1/2" barb fittings and 1/2" high pressure trans cooler hose to adapt the cooler barbs to -8 AN fittings.
3) Route -8AN braided hose from upper fitting on cooler to drain plug location. Connect using 16mm to -8 AN male fitting and 90 degree -8 elbow.
4) Mount tilton lube transfer pump in area formerly occupied by battery. Wire to 30 AMP relay and switch mounted on center console.
5) Route -8 hose from trans fill port using 16mm to -8 male fitting and -8 90 to discharge side of pump
6) Route -8 hose from inlet side of pump to lower fitting on cooler.
7) Plumb in -8 30 micron filter with fitting for 1/8" gauge sensor in the line between the coller and pump inlet.

The idea is to cool the fluid before pulling it through the pump and circulating the cooled fluid back into the trans. I have the -8 male fittings already installed in the trans with AN caps on them, they clear the tunnel and ground clearance is no lower than the bottom of the headers or trans scoop.
I checked the inside of the fill hole with the trans in all gears and there is no obstruction to fluid being pumped in so it should work pretty much like the diff cooler I set up in a similar fashion.
Will post some pics as soon as I get back to work on it.
Steve

As said before, I'm very interested in your results!

TMO Supporting Vendors