The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FR Shift Ball

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
My Ford Racing shift ball and adapter arrived today with my Barton two post shift bracket! Anybody have an easy how to on installation of the shift ball and adapter?

There are a couple of threads on the subject. The short answer is you'll need a strap wrench to get the stock shift ball off. Using a lift to install the bracket is ideal but I installed mine using my Race Ramps.

IMG_2090_zps64da9434.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
There are a couple of threads on the subject. The short answer is you'll need a strap wrench to get the stock shift ball off. Using a lift to install the bracket is ideal but I installed mine using my Race Ramps.

IMG_2090_zps64da9434.jpg

and a heat gun.

NFSBOSS said:

IMG_2090_zps64da9434.jpg

I used a towel to wrap the ball to protect the finish and used a large pipe wrench for a 2013 Boss. Took about 2 full turns before I could turn by hand.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Justin said:
its a handy tool to have and isnt that bad on price

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-2-pc-strap-wrench-set/p-00945570000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Cheaper than I thought, thanks!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Really confused now. I was able to get the old ball off but the new adapter won't screw down anywhere far enough to get the ball on. Does the piece with the boot on it also come off? If so how?

shifter1_zpscc0c2ec0.jpg

shifter2_zps886ac1ee.jpg

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
NFSBOSS said:
I believe you have the adapter for the GT not the Boss. They are different. You need the adapter like the one I'm using in my photo.

That makes sense I will email Dave at Barton and get it changed out. Thanks Rick!

GA
Tucson302 said:
That makes sense I will email Dave at Barton and get it changed out. Thanks Rick!

Rick is correct. That adapter fits the base GT leather shift knob boot like this:
DSCN4030_zps988f7de7.jpg

I had to go buy that for my GT since I had the aluminum shift ball. Until you get the correct adapter you can either go back to stock or you can screw the adapter on the shaft, slip the boot over it, and then screw the FR ball on so it looks like this:
DSCN4016_zpsc3c9ca80.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors