The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 French Shelby GT350R Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
Welcome to the forum. You have a an awesome car. I’m sure it will be a hit there in France. There are a few members in the EU here. When you do make your US trip try to hit up some tracks while you’re here. This thread might give you some motivation

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Beinvenu, Beinvenu!!

How exciting to have a GT 350R in France and I know the reaction you get with your special Mustang throughout Europe will be phenomenal. I was in France last year and we stopped at a service station near Metz and there was a gentleman with a Grabber Blue GT500. I introduced myself and congratulated him on having a great Mustang, and everyone coming out of the Service Building glanced at his Mustang. I can imagine the GT 350 will cause an even bigger amount of staring and excitement. What part of France do you live in and I know we will all look forward to pictures of you driving through the countryside, at the track and at car shows. We are very glad to have you as a new member and I have to agree you will likely not be able to make your trip this year, but just imagine what fun you will have in 2021 if you get to know fellow Mustang enthusiasts on this site prior to your travels in the US.

Like you I am hoping things clear up relatively soon, as my wife and I were going to be in France this month and now we have rescheduled for next year.

Welcome to the forum. You have a an awesome car. I’m sure it will be a hit there in France. There are a few members in the EU here. When you do make your US trip try to hit up some tracks while you’re here. This thread might give you some motivation

thank you for your welcome, i will be happy to find here a man who could take me with him during a trackday on willow springs ( my dream it's daytona but for another americain Est trip)! In return it will be with pleasure that I could welcome you in France or in Germany to go to make beautiful track with my GT350r :)

Beinvenu, Beinvenu!!

How exciting to have a GT 350R in France and I know the reaction you get with your special Mustang throughout Europe will be phenomenal. I was in France last year and we stopped at a service station near Metz and there was a gentleman with a Grabber Blue GT500. I introduced myself and congratulated him on having a great Mustang, and everyone coming out of the Service Building glanced at his Mustang. I can imagine the GT 350 will cause an even bigger amount of staring and excitement. What part of France do you live in and I know we will all look forward to pictures of you driving through the countryside, at the track and at car shows. We are very glad to have you as a new member and I have to agree you will likely not be able to make your trip this year, but just imagine what fun you will have in 2021 if you get to know fellow Mustang enthusiasts on this site prior to your travels in the US.

Like you I am hoping things clear up relatively soon, as my wife and I were going to be in France this month and now we have rescheduled for next year.
I live in Lyon, it is only 600 km from the famous nubrugring track (I will ride between 10 and 20 tarckdays during a year) there 150 km from Magny cours and 250 km from Paul Ricard.

In France, nobody knows Shelby very well, the mustang "ecoboost" and the mustang GT are the famous "ford" and when the peaople inspect the GT350R it's a mixture of excitement and astonishment 🤨 "but where is GPS?!? No air conditioning?!? "Porsche owners come to me and tell me" The Mustang is slow on the track, no brakes, no balance, very heavy "and after the first session all people are around the car to understand where the noise comes from and how it is possible that a mustang is so fast! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Some people say "Mustang V8? 8,250 rpm ??? What is that!?! Possible? Race car? I say: no Shelby stock:cool:

If you want make a ride in my shelby when you come in France (if you come aroud Lyon ) and make a gourmet french restaurant it's with pleasure ! And you where are you leave ?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We are actually going to be in Nice and then end up in Lyon, so I may actually take you up on your kind gesture. I sold my GT 350 to get back into door to door racing , so my Boss 302S is one of 50 factory built race cars in 2013. There are many times I miss the 350 , as my car is not street legal , and the Shelby is a very competent track machine -- almost equal to my pure race car on track.

I have been to Lyon before , but I expect there to be quite a few changes as I was there in the 60s, ha,ha. My father was a US Air Force Fighter Pilot and we were stationed in Bitburg, Germany ( Bitburger Pils ) so I did make it to Nurburgring as a young man, as Bitburg is reasonably close to the track.

We will all look forward to your pictures of the Shelby throughout Europe and I know you will be surprising a lot of Porsche and BMW drivers ------I know many of us do that often on tracks here in America.

Interesting about your GT 350 as you can not buy one in the US without a radio and airconditioning ------ yours is a very serious machine!

Last edited:
I live in Lyon, it is only 600 km from the famous nubrugring track (I will ride between 10 and 20 tarckdays during a year) there 150 km from Magny cours and 250 km from Paul Ricard.

In France, nobody knows Shelby very well, the mustang "ecoboost" and the mustang GT are the famous "ford" and when the peaople inspect the GT350R it's a mixture of excitement and astonishment 🤨 "but where is GPS?!? No air conditioning?!? "Porsche owners come to me and tell me" The Mustang is slow on the track, no brakes, no balance, very heavy "and after the first session all people are around the car to understand where the noise comes from and how it is possible that a mustang is so fast! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Some people say "Mustang V8? 8,250 rpm ??? What is that!?! Possible? Race car? I say: no Shelby stock:cool:

If you want make a ride in my shelby when you come in France (if you come aroud Lyon ) and make a gourmet french restaurant it's with pleasure ! And you where are you leave ?

Lyon France is on my bucket list.....im a serious paul bocuse fan. Wish i could eat at his restaurant. Ive been to wittenheim for work and Colmar.

I am bringing my Boss 302 to Frankfurt when I move there this fall. Lyon is one of the top places I wish to visit. My grandfather escaped the Armenian genocide in Turkey during the early 1900s and actually grew up at an orphanage in Lyon until he was a teenager and came to America. Just wanted to walk in some of the footsteps he walked in as a young man.

I rarely take Porsche people seriously...

if you are around for any of the IMSA races look me up, Sebring has been moved to November (tentatively) Watkins Glen is supposedly on for June 25ish. the SCCA runoffs are still on for October ..so far.
My bucket list is to get to Normandy, and to the Ardennes, my uncle was wounded there in the Battle of the Bulge. So much history in that area of the world I could look around for a year, Ypres, Metz, Maginot line, etc

We are actually going to be in Nice and then end up in Lyon, so I may actually take you up on your kind gesture. I sold my GT 350 to get back into door to door racing , so my Boss 302S is one of 50 factory built race cars in 2013. There are many times I miss the 350 , as my car is not street legal , and the Shelby is a very competent track machine -- almost equal to my pure race car on track.

I have been to Lyon before , but I expect there to be quite a few changes as I was there in the 60s, ha,ha. My father was a US Air Force Fighter Pilot and we were stationed in Bitburg, Germany ( Bitburger Pils ) so I did make it to Nurburgring as a young man, as Bitburg is reasonably close to the track.

We will all look forward to your pictures of the Shelby throughout Europe and I know you will be surprising a lot of Porsche and BMW drivers ------I know many of us do that often on tracks here in America.

Interesting about your GT 350 as you can not buy one in the US without a radio and airconditioning ------ yours is a very serious machine!
[/CITATION]
it's pleasure to meet you if you come to Lyon.
We see on the photo the "plastic R" to replace the GPS.
I look the production between 2016 and 2018 there are just 139 untis with delete radio, I think that Ford will stop production without radio / gps / air conditioning? I also listen to that Ford stops GT350 / R production at the end of the year?

i make many picture and movies in the trackday , soon return on the nurburgring with 7.20 BTG target

Lyon France is on my bucket list.....im a serious paul bocuse fan. Wish i could eat at his restaurant. Ive been to wittenheim for work and Colmar.
Paul Bocuse is one of the best but there are some beautiful French institutions less known but just as good

20200505_190235.jpg

Last edited:
I rarely take Porsche people seriously...

if you are around for any of the IMSA races look me up, Sebring has been moved to November (tentatively) Watkins Glen is supposedly on for June 25ish. the SCCA runoffs are still on for October ..so far.
My bucket list is to get to Normandy, and to the Ardennes, my uncle was wounded there in the Battle of the Bulge. So much history in that area of the world I could look around for a year, Ypres, Metz, Maginot line, etc
[/CITATION]
For this year my trip from July to August will be canceled, for the moment we are waiting for the refund of the plane. The trip is between San Francisco and LA. It is essential to visit Shelby in las vegas and spend the day at Willow Spring Racetrack. If you have another address, I listen to your advice. the dream would be for me to share 1 or 2 days with a mustang / shelby owner and to make a day on willow track.
Especially since I saw the movie "le mans 66" :)
1588847560313.png [/QUOTE]

I have a question for you ? during my future visit is it possible to have a personalized welcome at Shelby and to meet the mechanic who signed the engine of my shelby? or learn more about my GT350r by meeting a Ford or Shelby engineer? Before, I have a Mercedes AMG C63 and as a customer I was able to go to the Affalterbach factory and see the production and testing of the 6.3L V8 and discuss it with the mechanic who built my engine! it's crazy
Thank for your answer, it's very difficult to have information since France of Shelby 😭

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Bienvenue sur le forum, on manque de français ici :)

I'll switch back to english so people don't think we're talking about frogs and turtles and other stupid stuff like this :p

For your last question, it will be pretty much impossible to visit the Flat Rock assembly plant where the GT350 and GT350R are built (Shelby has nothing to do with this generation of Shelby Mustangs, he was only shown the car during the design development as a courtesy but that's it). I asked, and even though I work in the design studios on Mustang programs, it was refused ...

On a different note, do you have any videos of you at the Ring? I used to drive there very often (done over 400 laps between 2011 and 2015) and plan to ship my Shelby over the Atlantic next year to go there again and see my buddies again. My wife and I had to cancel our trip this year as we always go for the 24 Hour race.
I'll PM so we can chat a bit more between frenchies :)

Bienvenue sur le forum, on manque de français ici :)

I'll switch back to english so people don't think we're talking about frogs and turtles and other stupid stuff like this :p

For your last question, it will be pretty much impossible to visit the Flat Rock assembly plant where the GT350 and GT350R are built (Shelby has nothing to do with this generation of Shelby Mustangs, he was only shown the car during the design development as a courtesy but that's it). I asked, and even though I work in the design studios on Mustang programs, it was refused ...

On a different note, do you have any videos of you at the Ring? I used to drive there very often (done over 400 laps between 2011 and 2015) and plan to ship my Shelby over the Atlantic next year to go there again and see my buddies again. My wife and I had to cancel our trip this year as we always go for the 24 Hour race.
I'll PM so we can chat a bit more between frenchies :)
Super une personne parlant la langue de Shakespeare ! Where are you from ? US ou FR ?

it's too bad that is impossible to visit or discuss with the mechanical or engineer like AMG... In French The GT350R cost 120K € and we have ... we have nothing on this brand 😭 😭

I have some vidéos on the Ring :

Me with Mclaren 600LT 7:30 BTG with traffic and big yellow flag (7.10 theoric) :
Me with Honda Type R 400 hp 7:40 BTG :

i will go to the nurburgring in two weeks, it's one of the fist GT350R on the green hell, i have between 150 and 200 laps with 7.10 BTG. The GT350R have a very good balance and seems very aérodynamic. I made an aggressive geometry and i have change tyres for Pirelli Trofeo R and brakes, compare to my others cars i think this is very quickly, i definitely believe to be faster than 7.30 BTG. The answer soon with vidéo and data.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If things loosen up you might want to consider a different trip to the US this Fall. The first week of October will be the 10th Annual Mustang Roundup and we have plenty of GT 350s, Boss 302s, GTs, Boss 302Ss, and other track ready Fords show up for 4 days of racing, tech talks, auto crossing and more. Ford Engineers come down from Dearborn every year and bring their own cars to race with us , along with often bringing a surprise Ford machine to the event -- last year it was a Shelby GT500 that they track all day Saturday!!!

Check out www.racemph.com and then look up the event. There will be many members at the event that are also TMO members as it is the official event for this Forum in 2020.

[QUOTE = "Bill Pemberton, message: 240018, membre: 487"]
Si les choses se relâchent, vous voudrez peut-être envisager un autre voyage aux États-Unis cet automne. La première semaine d'octobre sera le 10e rassemblement annuel de Mustang et nous avons beaucoup de GT 350, Boss 302, GT, Boss 302S et autres Ford prêts à rouler pour 4 jours de course, de discussions techniques, de croisement automatique et plus encore. Les ingénieurs Ford descendent de Dearborn chaque année et apportent leurs propres voitures pour courir avec nous, en apportant souvent une machine Ford surprise à l'événement - l'année dernière, c'était une Shelby GT500 qu'ils suivaient toute la journée samedi !!!

Consultez www.racemph.com , puis recherchez l'événement. Il y aura de nombreux membres à l'événement qui sont également membres de TMO car c'est l'événement officiel de ce Forum en 2020.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you, according to the evolution of the covid I will seek if it is possible to come to the USA, but the USA is a very big country and I think that the trips for the hobbies are prohibited for a big period :rouler des yeux:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We are just hoping for the best as our State ( Nebraska ) has been quite vigilant so far , and has a pretty low rate of infection, so things may be much better by October. We will just have to hope and pray and at present I did want to put that option out there for you.

[QUOTE = "Bill Pemberton, message: 240022, membre: 487"]
Nous espérons juste le meilleur car notre État (Nebraska) a été assez vigilant jusqu'à présent et a un taux d'infection assez bas, donc les choses pourraient être bien meilleures d'ici octobre. Nous devrons simplement espérer et prier et pour le moment je voulais vous proposer cette option.
[/CITATION]
my big trips is canceled and for the next year but why not a little trip "passion" for a best waiting, i tell you in the few mouth if the situation is better in Fr and the US :)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am sure hoping things improve for France , as we have our trip all paid for in 2021! Cabernet, pate, baguette, pain de chocolat, escargot, venaison, etc., I have my priorities for what I want to do while in your Country, ha,ha.

TMO Supporting Vendors