The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Frequency of brake bleed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. I have only put it on track for HDPE two times and am curious how often others bleed their brakes. I have two more sessions I plan to attend this year, then the ”season” ends. Some track day drivers suggested I bleed them at the beginning of the season and use DOT 4 (recommended in Ford manual for track use). Others suggested brake bleed every 2 sessions. Each season there are typically 6 track days. Thanks for any recommendations you have!
Anne

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
My '08 GT isn't nearly as fast as a LS, but I was bleeding all four corners (about half a liter total) in preparation for each event. So sometimes every event, sometimes every other event. I've used Motul RBF600 ever since my first event ever.

Turns out that at half a liter per bleed, you're essentially replacing the fluid about every third time.

Norm

I have a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. I have only put it on track for HDPE two times and am curious how often others bleed their brakes. I have two more sessions I plan to attend this year, then the ”season” ends. Some track day drivers suggested I bleed them at the beginning of the season and use DOT 4 (recommended in Ford manual for track use). Others suggested brake bleed every 2 sessions. Each season there are typically 6 track days. Thanks for any recommendations you have!
Anne
My '08 GT isn't nearly as fast as a LS, but I was bleeding all four corners (about half a liter total) in preparation for each event. So sometimes every event, sometimes every other event. I've used Motul RBF600 ever since my first event ever.

Turns out that at half a liter per bleed, you're essentially replacing the fluid about every third time.

Norm

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I completely agree with Norm and I do the exact same thing. I bleed the brakes after each weekend and I happen to use the exact same fluid as he does ( likely the most common fluid used for track rats ). I try to help newcomers understand that brake fluid goes through heat cycles and therefore it degrades after each track weekend , but what many do not also build into the equation is it has an extreme affinity to moisture. So when I hear of someone who says they only change it once a year or not very frequently , I shudder because it is not just the heat cycling that breaks even the best fluid down it is the moisture content. I , like Norm, always thought it was cheap insurance to make sure I could stop at the end of a fast straight or when coming up on another vehicle.

Was in Port Orchard area last year ( nephew got married in Port Gamble) and you live in an absolutely beautiful part of the Country. But, I do not have to tell you much about moisture in that part of Washington, haha.

Welcome and consider posting your Black Beauty under the new " Build Thread, " as folks love to see pictures and any mods ( cosmetic or mechanical ) done on Member cars. Hope to have you continue to post and never fear asking even the simplest questions , as everyone is helpful here and we have all wondered about things that may seem easy!

I completely agree with Norm and I do the exact same thing. I bleed the brakes after each weekend and I happen to use the exact same fluid as he does ( likely the most common fluid used for track rats ). I try to help newcomers understand that brake fluid goes through heat cycles and therefore it degrades after each track weekend , but what many do not also build into the equation is it has an extreme affinity to moisture. So when I hear of someone who says they only change it once a year or not very frequently , I shudder because it is not just the heat cycling that breaks even the best fluid down it is the moisture content. I , like Norm, always thought it was cheap insurance to make sure I could stop at the end of a fast straight or when coming up on another vehicle.

Was in Port Orchard area last year ( nephew got married in Port Gamble) and you live in an absolutely beautiful part of the Country. But, I do not have to tell you much about moisture in that part of Washington, haha.

Welcome and consider posting your Black Beauty under the new " Build Thread, " as folks love to see pictures and any mods ( cosmetic or mechanical ) done on Member cars. Hope to have you continue to post and never fear asking even the simplest questions , as everyone is helpful here and we have all wondered about things that may seem easy!
Terrific! Thank you Bill for the information!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Here I go again with my SRF plug!! With regular brake fluids you really need to bleed your brakes as mentioned above. I was lucky to buy a 6 pack of SRF before it went into back order, but thats enough for many seasons. Dam stuff lasts for ever, basically bleed the brakes once or twice a year with 15 races a season.

PS, SRF last longer then my pads or discs!

Here I go again with my SRF plug!! With regular brake fluids you really need to bleed your brakes as mentioned above. I was lucky to buy a 6 pack of SRF before it went into back order, but thats enough for many seasons. Dam stuff lasts for ever, basically bleed the brakes once or twice a year with 15 races a season.

PS, SRF last longer then my pads or discs!
Thank you Mad Hatter!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I think I'd still periodically bleed one or two brake pedal pumps' worth of fluid out of each caliper, just to keep an eye on the condition of the fluid (and indirectly the condition of things it comes in contact with).

Norm.

agree 100%! Dark fluid is a warning sign you will only see by bleeding the brakes.

TMO Supporting Vendors