The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front A arm bushing cracked, change bushing or A arm??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
On checking out the car, found that the right rear Front A arm bushing had a split going almost all the way around. Is it worth upgrading by going to a BMR A arm (adjustable or not?) or just get a upgraded bushing kit??

I'm running the Prothane kit on mine. zero issues. old bushings are a pain to get off though. Not a fan of the BMR arms or any of the tubed arms for that matter. Upgrade the stock arms.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
In October 2014, I had my dealer replace both front lower control arm bushings under a TSB, (Warranty). New parts came with new control arms, bushings and ball joints.

Did you have any front end noise over bumps on sharp turns, like k turns, etc.?

Just an FYI,
Dave

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I do have a little slop in the steering but that was the only warning. No tsb for me. I imported the car direct to Chile to get a manual box.

Mad Hatter said:
I was suprised to see only BMR arms availble. They do seem rather skinny. Will get the bushing kit.

BMR redesigned their arms and stand behind them however those and the Kenny's browns are no where near the strength of OEM control arms.

The rear bushing and mount kits for the Boss 302S are almost $500. If you decide to replace your own its supposed to be super difficult. I think Cortex was working on a less expensive replacement bushing than the Boss 302s one.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Considering the state of most of our tracks down here, I think I will go with the Prothane A arm bushing. Some of the pianos are bad enough to knock the wheel of a GTR!!

I used these on the rear
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PT-6220BL/Mustang-Prothane-Black-Front-Control-Arm-Bushings-Replaces-Rear-Mounted-Hydra-Bushing
Front
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PT-6218BL/Mustang-Prothane-Black-Front-Control-Arm-Bushings-Replaces-Front-Mounted-Bushing

Tri-bar said:
I used these on the rear
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PT-6220BL/Mustang-Prothane-Black-Front-Control-Arm-Bushings-Replaces-Rear-Mounted-Hydra-Bushing
Front
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PT-6218BL/Mustang-Prothane-Black-Front-Control-Arm-Bushings-Replaces-Front-Mounted-Bushing

How about the install on the rear bushing was it difficult?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Am confused. Just got an email from LRS saying those bushings will not fit on 2011plus??!! But they look just like the ones MMsports has...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Not 100% sure, but I suspect different hardware/bolt sizes. IIRC, a lot of the hardware was updated in 2011 and not interchangeable with '05 to '10 cars.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmm. Looks like a cheaper way is to just replace the whole right side A arm for 125 bucks. The ford racing bushing kit is 499!!. Makes the bmr kit look better.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
GTs '11 and '12 have the rack nibble vibration issue with urethane or spherical bearings up front, mine did and changing to the FRPP rack cured it. I've heard of Boss cars having it but not many, if you have you know it, it's like someone is moving the steering shaft back and forth an inch twice per second. It's not a vibration.
Steve

Grant 302

twistedneck said:
Did the issues with your rack start AFTER you changed control arm bushings? That seemed to be the case on the Vorshlag car..

That's what happened, IIRC. He changed his steering rack to a '12 unit and the vibration went away.

My GT had shown the shimmy a couple of times when it was new and in the cold, and never seen it since, but it has made me wait on installing bushings up front until I have another rack in hand.

steveespo said:
GTs '11 and '12 have the rack nibble vibration issue with urethane or spherical bearings up front, mine did and changing to the FRPP rack cured it. I've heard of Boss cars having it but not many, if you have you know it, it's like someone is moving the steering shaft back and forth an inch twice per second. It's not a vibration.
Steve

Thanks for clearing that up steveespo. I have a 2012 GT and i was about to upgrade front control arms and bushings to Boss 302s w/ urethane.. at this point i'm going to hold off on that until i can afford the FRPP rack. Glad i followed this thread.

Though rare, I encountered the dredded steering shudder after installing the KB AGS-4 on my '13 LS. The only cure was the the FRPP EPAS rack. The link below is the thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7421.msg118827#msg118827

r
Eric

Grant 302

twistedneck said:
Thanks for clearing that up steveespo. I have a 2012 GT and i was about to upgrade front control arms and bushings to Boss 302s w/ urethane.. at this point i'm going to hold off on that until i can afford the FRPP rack. Glad i followed this thread.

I don't think it's an issue on all the '12s, if any. I only heard of the issue on '11s.

Since you have a '12, I would just try the arms or bushings and see. Might save you $1k for the rack.

TMO Supporting Vendors