The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front Air Deflector retainer nut and bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

See picture below for reference. Performing an oil change a couple weeks ago and came across an issue. I typically drop the rear of this air dam/deflector (whatever it's called) just to make sure I didn't drip any oil on this during the change. On the rear of the deflector there are three holes that mount to the motor cross member. The middle hole is a plastic push pin and the 2 outers require a small bolt and rectangle retainer nuts that snap into the cross member. Well 1 was already missing and pulling the other out it was broke too. Has anyone else replaced these as I am looking for a part #? I ordered the below and they are much bigger than the ones I need.

Part NumberPart NamePriceQuantityTotal
W710198-S439Front Cross-Member U-Nut$3.141$3.14
W714338-S439Fender Bolt$1.732$3.46

air deflector.jpg

1661183460506.png

HS1 is W715060-S450B (bolt with washer) and HN1 is -W705961-S403 (regular u-nut)
Push Pin HX1 is -W714076-SS3JA, but I bet common ones would fit for a lesser price.
This is what HN2 looks like and is Part # W717220-S300
1661184485134.png
This is what HN3 looks like and is Part # W716529-S900
1661184564291.png
Double check my work with what you see on the car.

Last edited:
I found the one broken one which is in the pic below on the left, you can see it's missing half of the side and is half the size of the one I ordered W710198-S439. There are 8 locations for these that I circled below too. It looks like I need the HN3, with HS1 bolt. Does that seem right? The view you have is much better than the one I was using off Tascaparts.com.

retainer2.jpgretainer1.jpg

1661191452334.png

Seems right to me based on your picture that you're looking at the HN3 nut W716529-S900 and from Ford all the fasteners are HS1 W715060-S450B bolt/washer combos except for the corners on the front of the deflector, so I'd say that is a safe bet. That being the case, shipping will likely be more expensive than the parts combined so nothing wrong with ordering some spares for the other retainer nuts, especially if you find yourself dismounting the stone deflector often.

Last edited:
looks like it may be HN1 that you need since HN3 is considerably larger.
I think that's just because it's a zoomed in picture of a small component. Look at the proportions of the clip body to the threaded portion, which is probably for something like an 8mm bolt. The wings on the flange also match -W716529-S900 when compared to the picture. They also appear to have the same stamping marks. HN1 is also a traditional u-nut, unlike this expanding insert. Like I was saying to 12coBoss though, it may be fruitful to get a menagerie of the clips for the stone deflector if they're taking it on and off constantly, since shipping rates from most of the OEM parts websites stack up on small orders like these.

I went to the local dealership and they did have these on hand. They are pretty proud of what they have on hand, about $5 for the bolt/washer, and over $2 for the expansion nut, so I just got what I needed. You can find them online for around $1/piece, but would need to pay for shipping. Regardless here are the part #'s if you need them.

parts.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel