The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

front caliper boot damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I purchased the 0.5mm shims from our site sponsor KNSBrakes.
I believe if you go with any wider shims, new pads won't fit. Unless, you wear down the pads a bit and add the shims later.

I'm guessing you meant the F14 wheels? :p
I'm running 18x10 +42's purchased from AmericanMuscle. Don't forget to use the SVTP discount to save a little bit, if you do go with AM.
Another wheel I was considering, when I bought the F14s, were the Team Dynamic wheels that Blowfish Racing sells. He didn't have them in stock at that time, so I went with F14s

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
ha... ya thats what i meant,i guess i should preview before postin...lol
I looked on KNS Brakes site, ill order them later tonite.Hopefully like you said, keep some heat away from the calipers.
I tried to sell a set of my SVT wheels a littl while ago to get a set of 18s, but didnt go so im using them for now on the track.
Seem to have good grip. Thanks for the suggestions again. Rob

I have run the Ti shims for a while and I noticed that my boots are now cracked like yours Rob. The Ti shims are nicely blued in color! Time for me to order seal kits also.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
06mach1 said:
I have run the Ti shims for a while and I noticed that my boots are now cracked like yours Rob. The Ti shims are nicely blued in color! Time for me to order seal kits

Good that you caught it early too Mike,
before more damage! FD Sako gave me
advice on the shims, I ordered them last nite.
Get them done before you go to Watkins .
I made the brake duct inlets a littl better
at the grill, hopefully they helps too!

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I'll buy the point about reduced thermal conduction (between each layer of metal is a thermal discontinuity) but not the implied claim that the air flow between, through, and under the shims is going to amount to enough to matter.

From time to time I did finite-element heat transfer analysis in my day job (back when I had such a thing).

Norm

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
Just noticed my dust boots are cracked in a few places on the front as well but I have no experience with something like this so I was hoping to get some feedback:
1. Do I need to replace the boots immediately or can I do 1 more track day on them?
2. Is this something a mechanically inclined novice can do with hand tools or should I let a pro do it? I've read that most people get the piston out using compressed air, so I would at least need to get my hands on a compressor. Ford quoted me around $400 to do the work.
3. I do have a 3rd party bumper to bumper warranty, is this something that might be covered if they don't know I've been tracking the car?

Thanks for the input!

Attachments

• IMAG3720.jpg
    IMAG3720.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 75
You do not need to remove the piston to replace the dust seal.

You can continue to track the car. The dust seals are not a hydraulic seal. They help keep contaminants out of the system an scoring of the piston over time. Race calipers do not have dust seals.

Your third party warranty might cover the seals. But, you know that their failure is not normal wear....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Irvine, CA
You do not need to remove the piston to replace the dust seal.

You can continue to track the car. The dust seals are not a hydraulic seal. They help keep contaminants out of the system an scoring of the piston over time. Race calipers do not have dust seals.

Your third party warranty might cover the seals. But, you know that their failure is not normal wear....

Well that's good to know! Sounds like it's definitely not worth having Ford do it then.

Makes sense.

Of course, but if I was going to have the dealership do the work it's always worth a shot. Since it sounds like I might be able to do it myself, and I already have 3 extra boots, probably not worth the hassle.
Thanks for the quick response.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Changing the dust boots is not a bad idea. If you drive your car in the rain or put a lot of miles on it change the boots. Adding titanium shims also helps protect the boots.
Be cautious using compressed air to remove the pistons. Too much air, pressure and volume will launch the Pistons. Don’t ask me how I know.
The boots are fairly easy to swap out. Use a seal pick to pull the old and press the new with hand tools.

Last edited:
I have a set of Ti shields for the Boss 302 calipers that are for sale. I also have aftermarket rotors and brake pads if anybody is looking for a set to put on for the track days to keep there factory stuff for the street. Takes very little time to swap over front and rear rotors and pads. A monkey can do it with hand tools. Don't have my Boss any longer and this stuff is just sitting in my garage.

TMO Supporting Vendors