The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front end vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
I'll try to be brief here but this is really frustrating me. Suspension is bone stock, never had any vibration up to and over 100mph. Bought a set of SVE Drifts from LMR, only difference being 9.5 wide all around. While installing at a local tire shop also had them rotate side to side. Mileage around 7500. Upon driving had a noticeable front end vibration over 60 mph. Took it back, had them check balance on fronts. It was a little off but they side my LF tire had a high spot, never would be balanced perfectly. They said it was a manufacturers defect, need to go to authorized Pirelli dealer. Took it to Discount tire (two blocks away), they didn't really check it, took my word for it and ordered a new tire. Few days later it came in, had it installed and both front tires rebalanced, out the door for $86. Now the vibration occurs at and above 80 mph.

Thoughts anyone? Could the wheels be defective? Time to go to Ford and have them check everything out? I have not had the rear wheels checked again, could that be the problem?
All suggestions appreciated.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
1) Check if you have centering hub rings. If they are missing the wheel will not be centered.
2) never rotate l/r, only f/r if the tire sizes are the same.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Directional typically is intended for wet driving. In the dry tires can usually be run either direction. I'm with Pete on centering. Had that issue on my S4

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Many third party wheels are not made for one specific car or brand. The hub centering ring is a removable ring added to the wheel that rides along the center hub and centers the wheel. If its too large or not installed the wheel is not sitting centered on the axle hub and relies on the wheel bolts for centering.

www.justforwheels.com/hub-centric-rings.jsp

Fomoco302

Talked to the folks at LMR and they say that wheel is specific to the Mustang, shouldn't need a centering ring. Guess I'll go back and have the balance checked again. I did not have the rears re-checked after the initial installation so I'll have those checked also.
Crazy that the vibration moved up from 60mph to 80mph.
Thanks again

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Any chance some of the wheel weights fell off? I've found wheel weights in my driveway before, obviously that can throw off balance

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
PeteInCT said:
Many third party wheels are not made for one specific car or brand. The hub centering ring is a removable ring added to the wheel that rides along the center hub and centers the wheel. If its too large or not installed the wheel is not sitting centered on the axle hub and relies on the wheel bolts for centering.

www.justforwheels.com/hub-centric-rings.jsp

Pete

Just checked the site. They list plastic rings for our application. Also offer aluminum rings if you know sizes both ID and OD

Do you know the inside dimension of the Enkei wheels as well as the outside diameter of the ford hubs in milimeters?

TMSBOSS said:
Pete

Just checked the site. They list plastic rings for our application. Also offer aluminum rings if you know sizes both ID and OD

Do you know the inside dimension of the Enkei wheels as well as the outside diameter of the ford hubs in milimeters?
Tire Rack sells aluminum centering rings for cheap if you know what size you need. You'll need to call and talk to a sales person though.

Tulsa, OK
Definitely no need for centering rings with these wheels. As others have said they are made specifically made for our application.

My vote is it's a balancing issue...

PeteInCT

Connecticut
If they don't use hubs then it has to be balance. Many shops do a very poor job of balancing, even with the new computer controlled systems - they are not foolproof. My former Audi track car was very sensitive to balance deviations. My Boss, even with the 302S suspension, doesn't seem that sensitive at all to balance as compared to my Audi or a 911 Porsche.

I had a wheel that was way out of balance on a much slower vehicle. I noticed the dot on the tire they use to line up the wheel had been washed off so when I went in to rotate them I had them turn the tire 180 degrees and it was much better. If i remember correctly when the tire is new is has a dot and is to be lined up with the valve stem.

Fomoco302

Well I went back to Discount today and had them rebalance all four wheels. As I said I didn't have them check the rears last time as the front/left was the one where the tire was replaced. Lo and behold the left/rear was 1.75 oz. off and the right/rear .75 off. Only had a brief chance to get it over 80mph on the way home but it seems to be cured. I tried to give the local tire shop some business but never again.

Thanks for everybody's advice and help.

TMO Supporting Vendors