The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front license plate holder holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't need front plate in my state but the state I bought it does and the front plate bracket comes mandatory but isn't attached.

Can a dealer pre-drill the holes without the car being sold?

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Front license plates are required in CA, but the dealer did not drill the holes.

I never see a new Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Corvette or many other cars having front plates mounted.

Then the Boss doesn't need one either in my opinion.

At any rate, I have a "hidden mount" bumper bracket ready to install if I get a fix it ticket.

Im in Texas where a front plate is mandatory, however I told the dealership if they drilled the holes in the front bumber, I would not buy the car. I have the plate in the trunk and do not intend on putting it on the car...

A great, and cheap, alternative for mounting the front license plate is the ABS plastic front license plate frame for the 2006-2013 F150. Part number 6L3Z-17A385-AAA, about $20 at your Ford dealer, and they usually have 'em in stock.

What's slick about it is that it has 2 plastic tabs that stick out perpendicular from the frame which slot in perfectly between the splitter and lower bumper cover and allow you to easy insert and remove, and position the plate frame as desired, without holes. It looks "factory" because it's a Ford part, and it fits the contour of the lower portion of the bumper cover almost perfectly.

You just loosen 2 or 3 splitter bolts where you want to place the frame, slide in the tabs between the splitter and bumper cover, retighten the splitter bolts. For a bit more retention security you can run a zip tie thru the lower grill and lic plate frame. Works slick as a whistle!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I prevented them from drilling my front plate on. I then order one of these had used one on my 06. easy to take on and off to clean and detail or for car shows.
http://ccmustangbrackets.com/welcome-to-craigs-custom-mustang-brackets/

When I ordered my Boss I told the dealer NO HOLES in the front bumper. They complied with my request even though CT requires a front plate. So it seems the owner has to comply with the front plate law & not the dealer....At least least in CT....I would bet all dealers would not drill the holes if you tell them not to.

DKL said:
Im in Texas where a front plate is mandatory, however I told the dealership if they drilled the holes in the front bumber, I would not buy the car. I have the plate in the trunk and do not intend on putting it on the car...
http://www.friscodwilawyer.com/2012/01/articles/police/no-license-plate-no-problem/

Glenn

Still plays with cars...
Omaha
cheezhed said:
Are these pre-drilled at the factory?

My car has these pilot holes already it looks like.

Mine has them too, at first I thought the dealer had done it, even though I told them not to install the front plate bracket.

Justin

the two dimples are molded into the bumper. nothing you can do about that other than have a body shop fill them and then repaint the bumper.

Justin said:
I prevented them from drilling my front plate on. I then order one of these had used one on my 06. easy to take on and off to clean and detail or for car shows.
http://ccmustangbrackets.com/welcome-to-craigs-custom-mustang-brackets/
Just ordered one of these. Thanks for the link! Luckily the dealer asked before drilling out the pilot holes in mine.

since you guys have had the bracket for awhile, I was wondering how it's working out, worth the money and does it cause any damage to the paint from movement from the wind when driving?

Justin

DKL said:
since you guys have had the bracket for awhile, I was wondering how it's working out, worth the money and does it cause any damage to the paint from movement from the wind when driving?
I have had it over a year now 13k miles. well worth the money and no paint damage

Fiddler49 said:
Just ordered one of these. Thanks for the link! Luckily the dealer asked before drilling out the pilot holes in mine.

Same here - I ordered it and installed. Although I have not put many miles on the car to give you a report on damage.... I feel 100% comfortable with the bracket and rubber pieces that go between the bumper and plate. Super easy install, looks great - I am very happy with it.

Thanks Jnueman. I said I wasn't going to put a front plate on the vehicle, but as easy as this bracket seems to be to install and no worry of damage, I guess I better go ahead and comply with the law before my luck runs out...

Justin

there is a way to use the factory front plate thing and install it on the craigs bracket to give it a clean factory look. thats what I have done with mine

Justin said:
there is a way to use the factory front plate thing and install it on the craigs bracket to give it a clean factory look. thats what I have done with mine

I never thought about that, I will look at it when my bracket comes in..Today the Borla s-type pipes are due to be delivered. Looking forward to gettin off of work time and putting in some shop time..

TMO Supporting Vendors