The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front lower control arm bushings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Like everyone else, I am anxiously awaiting track season next year and starting my winter upgrade list. So far this year I have done:

- DBA rotors and Hawk pads
- Nitto NT555RII on Enkei wheels
- trans cooler
- Brake ducting ( need to install )
- MGW shifter
- Camber plates
- M-18000-C dampers with P springs
- Rear LCA Relocation brackets and lower control arms, adjustable panhard bar

I am looking to improve safety and 'feel' for next year. For safety I was looking at the cooltech rollbar. For seats I currently run Sparco SPG in another track car so was thinking of something similar but have no idea what will work with respect to sliders and mounts.

On the feel side I was going to go with with sway bars and maybe some more substantial bushings. I know there has been a lot of talk about bushings for the rear control arms but I was hoping to find something for the front control arms to improve steering feel and aid in turn-in. I found the following while searching google:

http://www.steeda.com/store/prothane-mustang-front-rear-control-arm-bushing-kit.html

Any one have any opinions on these or tried something similar?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There are two main downsides to any sort of aftermarket bushing for the FLCAs:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The stock bushings are notoriously hard to remove from the LCA ends and in most cases must be burned off or carefully sawn/sanded. This is a very messy and labor-intensive process.
[*]Once the stock bushings are replaced with something of a higher durometer, you will likely get increased steering wheel shudder or twitch. So far the only way to eliminate this is to also install the BOSS 302R electric rack from Ford Racing, which at the cheapest is around $900.
[/list]

ArizonaGT said:
There are two main downsides to any sort of aftermarket bushing for the FLCAs:
[list type=decimal]
[*]The stock bushings are notoriously hard to remove from the LCA ends and in most cases must be burned off or carefully sawn/sanded. This is a very messy and labor-intensive process.
[*]Once the stock bushings are replaced with something of a higher durometer, you will likely get increased steering wheel shudder or twitch. So far the only way to eliminate this is to also install the BOSS 302R electric rack from Ford Racing, which at the cheapest is around $900.
[/list]

OK, interesting information. I was not aware they were so hard to replace. Do you know what is different about the 302R rack?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Teamsketch said:
OK, interesting information. I was not aware they were so hard to replace. Do you know what is different about the 302R rack?

It uses a unique calibration that makes it basically a "dumb" power-assist rack. The other racks all have calibrations for things like anti-nibble and other road-assisting features, which seem to get tripped up when running firmer suspensions, stickier tires, etc.

Sesshomurai

And then there's this....

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3389.0

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There is another alternative to removing the existing bushings from your stock arms if you like to spend money--you can "simply" buy a new set of bare 2011+ LCAs from FRPP and fit the new bushings to them. These below actually come with the longer ball joints which will be helpful if your car is lowered.

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/2011-2013-MUSTANG-FRONT-CONTROL-ARM-KIT-W-EXTENDED-BALL-JOINT-M-3075-RA.htm

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

It looks like if I wanted to go this route the best (easiest) choice would be to get the 302S lower control arms (M-3075-RA), the 302S bushings (M-5638-C) and the bumpsteer kit (M-3130-R4). I like the idea of keeping as much FRPP as possible. Changing out to the 302S/R steering rack is a little tough to swallow though. Anyone have any experience on how it feels on track? Also I assume I will lose the adjustability (comfort/normal/sport) of the stock rack which is fine by me, but I'm wondering if it would then through a permanent code.

Hey Teamsketch my car is 2010 so it doesn't have the electronic rack. I love what the bushings do to the steering feel. I wasn't crazy about the install. Too bad the electronic rack can't just be reprogrammed.

908ssp said:
Hey Teamsketch my car is 2010 so it doesn't have the electronic rack. I love what the bushings do to the steering feel. I wasn't crazy about the install. Too bad the electronic rack can't just be reprogrammed.

A whole new rack just for some software changes seems a little ridiculous. Not knowing what the affects of the 302R rack will be on the street, I think I will probably hold off on this for now and focus on more aggressive bushings in the rear.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Teamsketch said:
A whole new rack just for some software changes seems a little ridiculous. Not knowing what the affects of the 302R rack will be on the street, I think I will probably hold off on this for now and focus on more aggressive bushings in the rear.

The guys at Vorshlag Motorsports have already done the bushings and the 302R rack--if you google them, call their shop, and talk to them, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you about their experiences with this upgrade path.

TMO Supporting Vendors