Front Lower Control Arm Needs Replacing

Discussion in 'Boss 302 and S197 Technical Forum' started by Boone, Apr 15, 2019.

1. captdistraction

captdistraction I am the breaker of things

On the prothanes, the front bushing would deform and fail on the trailing side (typically from under breaking). I put large washers on the rearward bushing to take up the gap and provide some sort of thrust surface for braking forces but that only bought me 20-25% more life out of them. The last set melted after some fall events in Arizona.

neema likes this.
  2. ChrisM

ChrisM No bad days.

Dang. I have Prothanes on mine right now. Granted, I'm not even running at 10% of your ability, so they're probably fine, but all the more reason to replace them eventually.

3. captdistraction

captdistraction I am the breaker of things

I'll dig around and see if I have pictures of how I set them up to prolong life. Keep in mind I am also running 315mm wide R7/A7 and some slicks here and there to generate some punishing loads for the bushings. @ArizonaBOSS however also runs the same prothanes, and has never had an issue. So not sure the common denominator, maybe they had a production change at some point, etc.

ChrisM likes this.
  4. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Yeah not sure what is up with that, the Prothanes in my car are still intact after at least 3 seasons of abuse. I seem to be the outlier, however.
    Thinking to convert to the 302S delrin bushings over the summer when the shocks are out for rebuild.

5. ChrisM

ChrisM No bad days.

Given that I'm upgrading to 315s that makes it even more important I think.

6. neema

neema TMO Race

I'll keep an eye on them