The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front Seat Belt removal with Harness install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm about to install the Cool Tech Roll Bar and 6 point harness for both front seats. I am considering removing the front seat belts to eliminate the clutter and weight, but am concerned that this will set error codes for the SRS as a result of disconnecting the seat belt pre-tensioner in the OEM belt system.

Has anyone done this, and if so what are the pros/cons and is there anyway around the SRS error code?

Are you using the factory seats? If not you'll have the SRS airbag lamp on the speedometer gauge. There is a wire going to the pre-tensioner so my guess is you'll get a yellow light which isn't a big deal. I run with it on at the track since I have a Sparco race seat for track days.

One thing you'll want to do is disable the "belt minder". That's the thing that gives you the red flashing light and the ding when you don't fasten the seat belt. There's a procedure to turn this off in your owner's manual.

I have the same set-up although kept the stock seat belt. If you are planning to use the car on the street at all, I would keep the stock belt. Putting on even just 4 of 6 harnesses is much more cumbersome it would not seem worth the minimal weight loss. 80% of my usage is track, but even for the 20% street time, I can't imagine having to click into the racing harness.

Something I would recommend is asking Kendall at Cool Tech for a set of roll bar clamps to keep the harness from sliding out of proper position. I was forever correcting this on the roll bar and he sent me these and the problem is gone. They are black and thus look great on the red bar.

John and KR, are you guys cutting holes in the bottom seat cushion for the sub belt? If so can you please post photos?

Thanks for the tip on the Roll Bar clamps.

I may well stick with the standard belt if there isn't an easy fix for SRS. I saw elsewhere that a resistor can be used to eliminate the SRS error light for the Side air bag with a replacement seat and wondered whether anyone had figured out a similar fix for the pre tensioner. Since I've got the trim off to install the roll bar, it would be an opportunity to remove the belts.

I'm running the Recaro's at the moment and will not cut holes -- I'm going to loop the belts back through between the cushion and the seat back, but I think I may go for a race seat next season.

I am not using the submarine belts, although may need to do that at an SCCA training event I am planning to attend next spring. Thus I was going to ask the same question of others on how they install that belt. Kendall may also have a good answer.

Gary & Rick - Did both of you pull your stock belts? If yes, I may need to rethink keeping mine in.

Black KR said:
I'm running the Recaro's at the moment and will not cut holes -- I'm going to loop the belts back through between the cushion and the seat back, but I think I may go for a race seat next season.
I've seen it done before but it was not a quality job. A friend of mine with a Boss is thinking about installing a hole for a sub belt. If he gets it done cleanly I might do it too.

LS110 said:
I am not using the submarine belts, although may need to do that at an SCCA training event I am planning to attend next spring. Thus I was going to ask the same question of others on how they install that belt. Kendall may also have a good answer.

Gary & Rick - Did both of you pull your stock belts? If yes, I may need to rethink keeping mine in.
I'm using my stock belts still on the street with my factory seats. I removed the rear belts when I put the bar in but you obviously don't have those. I used eyebolts from Late Model Restoration drilled through the floor for my sub-belts if you decide to get a race seat. I'm using Schroth eyelets bent at 90 degrees for the lap belts and securing them to the rear seat bolts.

I bought the Cool Tech Harness mounts and am going with the install that Pete described in this post, but with the Roll bar instead of the harness bar:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/installed-cooltech-harness-clips/msg32297/#msg32297

Still undecided on whether to remove the OEM Belts.

Gary - Where did you drill through the floor for the sub belts? Just in front of the seat, under or behind??

KR - I will interested to hear what you look at for other seats. I do like the Recaro seat and since I started using a Hans device about mid season this year, I am absolutely locked in place and do not move an inch.

LS110 said:
Gary - Where did you drill through the floor for the sub belts? Just in front of the seat, under or behind??
John - Here are the locations where we put the eyebolts for the sub-belts. You can buy them from LMR and they come with an oversized fender washer on the bottom so they can't pull through. We used some silicon to seal it and spray painted it black to prevent corrosion.
20120219112425480.jpg

Here are the Schroth eyelets for the lap belts: http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Competition/hardware/snap-in-hardware

20120219160413644.jpg

20120219172220625.jpg

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
If you use the Cooltech clips with the stock seats you just run the sub belts under your butt. You won't even know they are there. Do not cut into the stock seat, you're creating more danger for yourself than just sticking with a 4 point system and ASM harnesses.

FYI - I left my stock belt in.

Gary - Thanks for the pic's. That is helpful.

Pete - Where did you get the Ford decals for your front bumper? I have been looking for that white decal for our black cars without success.

PeteInCT

Connecticut

Sesshomurai

Black KR said:
I bought the Cool Tech Harness mounts and am going with the install that Pete described in this post, but with the Roll bar instead of the harness bar:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/installed-cooltech-harness-clips/msg32297/#msg32297

Still undecided on whether to remove the OEM Belts.

just realize your car wont pass a safety inspection without the DOT approved oem belts. in case you didnt know.

LS110 said:

You can cut the seat on the drivers side and install the sub-belt.The plastic inserts can be purchased.(see old seat belt installation on mustang source). You can not install on the pass. side do to the large gel-pac used to sense the seat weight. In your owners manual to will tell you how to disconnect the bing for the seat belts when not hooked up. Its a pia,I just hook them behind the seat. If anyone cuts the pass. seat for the sub-belt and it work please post.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I'm happy with the Cool tech clip option. No holes in seat or the floorboards. If someone does cut the seat I'd advise checking with their club first to see if its allowed. I'm pretty sure SCCA and NASA would have an issue with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors