The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front splitter installation problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyoBoss

2012 Boss 302 LS #439
Hi all, I am new to this forum but cannot find an answer to the problem I am having. I took possession of my 2012 Boss 302 LS #439 on a couple of days ago and I want to install the front splitter. I was able to remove the stock splitter but I am unclear as to whether I am also supposed to remove the air deflectory that sits behind the chin. THis is a glossy black piece that sits below the 4 leading edge bolts that have to be replaced with the J nut. It seems that the hex screws are not quite long enough to go through the track splitter the air deflector and then engage the upper portion of the J nut. I fussed with it for a couple of hours before giving up last night so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Next up is the brake cooling ducts which looks like a much harder job! How come there aren't any exact instuctions on the web for that?

I did not use those four myself on the splitter I made for my non-LS Boss. The supplied bolts are suppose to be long enough to work from what I read. I picked up some M8x30 hex bolts to use on mine to give me room to lower it, sounds like they would work for you.

Call the Ford hot line, they e-mailed me a instruction sheet on the splitter, missing from the box. I used a small punch or awl to line the holes up, do not tighten the bolts all the way until you have them all started! There is a good photo from 5 dot O, Rick about the brake ducts, move the horns, it will be easier.

WyoBoss

2012 Boss 302 LS #439
Thanks for the pointers. Solved my problem by flipping the offending j nuts so their nipples pointed to the ground. Splitter done...looks wicked :eek:

I had the same problem, could not get three of them to take, just didnt use them. For the cooling ducks I removed the window washer tank and turned the horns 180degs. To get the hose to fit I removed 2.25 turns of the wire from the end of the hose.

TMO Supporting Vendors