The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front suspension mods

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
3,931
2,421
Santiago, Chile
Hi, the help I got from everyone to get my my rear end grip sorted was very much appreciated and made big difference in how the car handled, I was hoping to get some tips on the front! Since the lowering of the front with the P springs is so minor compared to the rear...do I need to worry about front end geometry as much as the rear?. I was tempted to get the BMR A arms, but am not sure if I understand the benefits I would get, apart from unsprung weight and more camber adjustments. Was looking at a stiffer front sway bar, probably adjustable. Was also wondering if rather them get A arms and bigger sway bars may be I should saving cash for a set of adjustable Bilstiens of Koni shocks instead??

So far the car has a surprisingly friendly ride with the P springs, I will be switching to Hooziers later this season.
 
747
355
If the relocation brackets sorted out the rear and the car is balanced / neutral, I would not make any of the changes you mentioned.

I would spend the money on either tires or improved reliability such as cooling in the form of an oil cooler or a free flowing grille. If you go the tire route, you might consider a set of rims that in turn give you a wider rubber selection and drop some weight at the same time.

Steve
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I am in almost the same place suspension wise with my GT. I'm currently putting on MM CC plates to go with the camber bolts that are already on the car. Also 'upgrading' from the base boss struts to the LS struts. Not expecting much from those, but I have them so I thought I should try them before I get another set of dampers.

Anyway, my next step for the front are X-11 tall ball joints and a bumpsteer kit. I might go with aftermarket A-arms that already have tall joints installed. Since the GT is a 2011, I have to worry about problems with the auto nibble/steering shake from the EPAS. :( Or pony up to upgrade the 302S EPAS. I might just replace the small front LCA bushing. I would like some of the adjustability from arms like the BMR, but I'm a little concerned about street durability of the tubular construction.

Tall ball joints would raise your front roll center, and restore some of the stock geometry. The bumpsteer kit corrects what the tall ball joints will do to the steering/tie rod to spindle geometry. Those and upgraded struts should get you more front end grip.
 
475
333
Grant 302 said:
I am in almost the same place suspension wise with my GT. I'm currently putting on MM CC plates to go with the camber bolts that are already on the car. Also 'upgrading' from the base boss struts to the LS struts. Not expecting much from those, but I have them so I thought I should try them before I get another set of dampers.

Anyway, my next step for the front are X-11 tall ball joints and a bumpsteer kit. I might go with aftermarket A-arms that already have tall joints installed. Since the GT is a 2011, I have to worry about problems with the auto nibble/steering shake from the EPAS. :( Or pony up to upgrade the 302S EPAS. I might just replace the small front LCA bushing. I would like some of the adjustability from arms like the BMR, but I'm a little concerned about street durability of the tubular construction.

Tall ball joints would raise your front roll center, and restore some of the stock geometry. The bumpsteer kit corrects what the tall ball joints will do to the steering/tie rod to spindle geometry. Those and upgraded struts should get you more front end grip.


I just swapped my 2011 GT rack for a 13 GT rack. world of difference. No shake at all the poly front and rear bushings, was much cheaper than a Race rack.
 
@Tri-bar

I have 2013 GT and the front passenger side rubber bushing is cracked. I know the 2011 the EPAS goes crazy if you switch out the bushings. So, since you are using a 2013 steering rack I was wondering what after market bushing you are using?

Thanks
 
475
333
Budget Boss said:
@Tri-bar

I have 2013 GT and the front passenger side rubber bushing is cracked. I know the 2011 the EPAS goes crazy if you switch out the bushings. So, since you are using a 2013 steering rack I was wondering what after market bushing you are using?

Thanks

The Prothane front and rear Late Model Resto has them for $28.00 Front, $ $99.00 rear. I also did the Steeda X11 ball joints and M-3130-R2 tie rods.
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks for sharing Tri-bar! I've been thinking of trying one of the newer GT racks. I'm sure Ford won't be offering a TSB or recall for the '11s.

Mad Hatter said:
I was tempted to get the BMR A arms, but am not sure if I understand the benefits I would get, apart from unsprung weight and more camber adjustments.

Meant to add that the BMR adjustable arms would also get you adjustments for the location of the ball joint which could also change caster, camber, and other steering properties.
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mad Hatter,
I keep forgetting to ask: How are your tires wearing on the front? This would also be one of the ways to tell if you *need* more adjustments.

I would also suggest taking tire profile temps if you aren't already.
 

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
3,931
2,421
Santiago, Chile
Grant 302 said:
Mad Hatter,
I keep forgetting to ask: How are your tires wearing on the front? This would also be one of the ways to tell if you *need* more adjustments.

I would also suggest taking tire profile temps if you aren't already.

Yes I wanted to start taking temps etc now, do you actually check tire temps like inside, center and outside??. My wear is pretty even so far but mainly because I rotate the tires after every event. Thats the nice thing about the Dunlop ZII tires, no outside/inside etc, So I can make them do time on both sides!! Will never get a asymmetrical track use tire again. THe Pzeros and Pole Position SO4 died with the outer edge corded. But going to -2.4 camber certainly cutback on the shoulder wear. It only gets

For now I think I will leave the front suspension as is. Save some money for a tune etc. If you have seen my last videos you can see the Camaros take off like scalded cats on the straight aways!!
 

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Mad Hatter said:
Yes I wanted to start taking temps etc now, do you actually check tire temps like inside, center and outside??. My wear is pretty even so far but mainly because I rotate the tires after every event. Thats the nice thing about the Dunlop ZII tires, no outside/inside etc, So I can make them do time on both sides!! Will never get a asymmetrical track use tire again. THe Pzeros and Pole Position SO4 died with the outer edge corded. But going to -2.4 camber certainly cutback on the shoulder wear. It only gets

For now I think I will leave the front suspension as is. Save some money for a tune etc. If you have seen my last videos you can see the Camaros take off like scalded cats on the straight aways!!

I started recording tire tread temps last year. I used to just take the temps to get an idea of the pressure and camber adjustments that I wanted to make. Really helps to record it at the track for future use. You can see some of my data in this thread:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6120
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top