The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front tire wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Dripping Springs, Tx
I have a Mach 1 HP and I am just get started with tracking it.

The car is stock other than Steeda dual rate springs, PFC rotors, cobalt XR2/XR3 pads.

the car has the factory Cup2 305/315 tire setup

I haven’t kept track of the track miles, but I would guess somewhere around 100.
The tires had 500 street miles, before I started tracking them and none since.

I start a track session at 28 PSI and stop for a break when they get to 35 PSI.

My question is; is wear on the front tires normal, or abnormal? The rears are warm evenly across the tread patch.

If the wear is abnormal, is the most likely cause driver technique, alignment or tire pressure?

I am currently maxed out in front camber, until I change the camber plates.

A7AA1BDF-D0D6-4C33-951A-38815EE483EF.jpeg

F6165EA1-B1CB-4AE1-95CD-606221E18B73.jpeg

Welcome to TMO! Don't forget to do a vehicle profile. It will generate a build thread. You could use another degree of front camber. Try starting your pressures at 26 - 27 with a target of 33-34. Here's a pic of my front left 1 full track day , around 100 miles at Pitt Race cup 2s with 3 degrees front camber and shooting for 34 hot. Pitt can be kinda hard on the front left. I'm pretty happy with the wear. I could use maybe.2 more up front but don't want to mess with a good thing.
20230422_185621.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pennsylvania
I have about 2 degrees of camber up front any mine are wearing a bit more evenly. Curious how many track days, or perhaps sessions, anyone has gotten out of SC2’s. I’m on my first set on my Mach 1 HP and have done about 4.5 track days, 4 sessions each day, 20-25 minutes a session (cut one day short due to rain). The tread seems to wear evenly, but I’m not sure if the grip is fading. (I’m new to all of this.) The picture is of my front left, which takes most of the abuse. I rotated them side to side after the first two track days.

IMG_6178.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Middleboro, MA
Glad I found this thread. Just got back from my first track day at Watkins Glen with my 22 Mach 1. OUt of 8 sessions over 2 days, only 4 were actually dry. I only ran 6 out of 8 of them. OEM Cup 2's that came on the car, about 1500 easy street miles before the 4 (25 minute) sessions on track. Had a track alignment done at the same reputable shop that did my C7 4 wheel track alignment. Here's the summary of the track alignment:
Front, -2.4 degrees Camber, Total Toe 0.08 degrees. Caster wouldn't move, it was 6.6 left, 7.1 right
Rear, -2.0 degrees L and R, Total Toe 0.23 degrees, Thrust angle 0.01
I am more discouraged by the inner shoulder wear than the outer. I was getting 1.2 lateral G's according to the car, the Garmin Catalyst, and the Track Chrono Pro with RaceBox mini in the car. Braking 1.0 G's. Been to the Glen 18 track days in 3 years, so it's not like I showed up and abused the crap out of the tires. I know the line, and am pretty consistent. I worked the tire pressures down on day 2, which was the day it didn't rain 3 freakin times, pretty much went out at 28 PSI cold (1st session), then ended up dropping about 2 psi per corner as I was hitting 37 psi + at the end of the 1st session.
If the inner/outer wear keeps running at this pace, I doubt I will get through 5 more track days, 4 at the Glen, 1 at Lime Rock.
First 2 photos are Drivers side front, which get's hammered at the Glen running clockwise, 3rd photo is Right front.
Chris

DSC01282.JPG

DSC01283.JPG

DSC01284.JPG

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My Sport Cups look similar yours ( front camber 2.7, rear at 2.0 ), but I have the equivalent of three full weekend track days and could probably get one more day or at least a couple of 20 minute runs. Now, I got that usage with decent negative camber and rotating side to side. The last track I ran on is very coarse or I think I would likely be able to get 4 weekends out of the Cups. I agree with Kazar about trying 26-27 since I think you should come in no higher than 34. I was running 26-27 the last time I ran I would come in at 32 to 33 after a 20 minute session. The tires are solid, will work practically till they cord and they work well , in my experience when it is really hot. I had two events within 2 weeks at MPH ( Hastings, Ne. ) last year and I wanted to save the Hoosiers for the NASA event , so I ran the Cups at the first event ( SCCA ). I won 2 out of 4 Sessions, and yet the interesting part was I was only about .5ths of a second faster on the Hoosiers. The Cup 2s work well and get your camber adjusted and take the advice Kazar mentioned.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Middleboro, MA
Bill , thanks for the feedback. Yes the weather was awful May 2 & 3 at WGI.... Temps rarely got above 50, mostly in the low to mid 40's. It rained even had 1/8 inch hail on Monday !!!

I may be wrong, but it seems like what I think is excessive inner shoulder wear is likely happening during heavy braking zones. I am wondering if the car is going Toe Out at 1.0G braking ? I am running those EBC SR-11 pads up front, and it was a challenge to calibrate my foot pressure for modulation and trail braking. Better on day 2 than 1st day on the track with a new car.

Although I was there 2 days, it was really like a single track day, only 4 dry sessions, 2 with the wipers running, and 2 I just decided to sit out.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The EBCs are the grabbiness muthas I have ever used and I found they got more progressive with each usage. I do think one has to change their braking style a bit , but the more I use them the more I like them because I seem to always have a solid pedal and I can brake so solidly and quite late. I think as you use them you will get used to them more, and they will get more linear, but still with very positive initial bite.

Your Michelins look super fine and having run MPSCs on Vipers and Mustangs I always found the inner shoulder wear to be much less than the outer. The Cup 2s will whittle down till they look like the outer sections of an R7 carcass. I ran six 20 minute sessions two Saturdays ago with tires that looked just slightly better than jpgainer's and when I was done they resembled Techapma's! Funny thing they were still hanging in there and the original Cups would have been gone long before. Your's look great and if you could get a bit more camber up front that would help. I don't think -3 is necessary, but if you can get to 2.7 -2.8 I think that will be beneficial.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Pennsylvania
Bill and/or KazarS197 - In my very novice opinion, I would consider Techampa’s tires shot and need to be replaced (along with some alignment adjustments). Mine look like they might have another day left in them (4-5 session @ 20-25 minutes)? I’m aligned to Ford’s suggested “track specs” (-2.2 front and -1.5 rear). Cjatrains look like they’re good for another 2-3 days. Seem to be wearing pretty well.

I struggle with the difference between worn-out versus heat cycled out. Mine feel pliable and have what looks like a reasonable amount of tread (for track use), but after 18 or so sessions I’m guessing they may be giving up grip?

For reference - here is a picture of a new one sitting in my garage.

IMG_6180.jpeg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors