The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FRPP Boss 302 Air-to-Oil Cooler is now available!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been anxious for the FRPP oil cooler to be released and it's now available. The fact that this same kit has been used on the 302S and 302R race cars for two seasons with no issues is what convinced me to order one. While I'm optimistic that the Tiger Racing hood is going to really help with cooling the water temps, I think the added insurance of cooling the oil is worth it.

You can order it from your dealer or I did see it on sale over here: http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/BOSS_302_EXTREME_DUTY_OIL_COOLER_KIT_p/m-6642-mba.htm

Finally!

adam81 said:
Thoughts on no thermostat? It has been proven that too cold of oil is as bad as too hot...
It's always a good idea to let your car warm up to operating temp before driving, and in any event you should never run it hard until both the water and oil are warmed up.

I find this a little annoying. It seems with all the development that went into this car with the goal of being a track ready street car, we wouldn't have: 1. So much concern about engine temperature, 2. Need to spend $1200 on an oil cooler. Don't get me wrong, I love the Boss. But I attended a BMW track event where they had stock 335i(twin turbos) for us to use with instructors. We beat on these cars all day, with the instructors taking them out in between our sessions. No brake fade, no overheating, nothing. I realize a lot of these cars will be used for regular track duty, so you want to prepare the car for the long term. But to me engine temp issues on a car with the inteneded use this car was developed for is kind of ridiculous. Again, I love the Boss. Dont freak on me.

Tflong24 said:
I find this a little annoying. It seems with all the development that went into this car with the goal of being a track ready street car, we wouldn't have: 1. So much concern about engine temperature, 2. Need to spend $1200 on an oil cooler. Don't get me wrong, I love the Boss. But I attended a BMW track event where they had stock 335i(twin turbos) for us to use with instructors. We beat on these cars all day, with the instructors taking them out in between our sessions. No brake fade, no overheating, nothing. I realize a lot of these cars will be used for regular track duty, so you want to prepare the car for the long term. But to me engine temp issues on a car with the inteneded use this car was developed for is kind of ridiculous. Again, I love the Boss. Dont freak on me.
I ran 18 track days without the cooler last year and had no issues with oil temps. In fact my oil looked great at each oil change when I expected it to look pretty black. Your observation is correct, this is more of a mod for those of us that regularly track their car. It's not necessary, just one of those things that people that are hardcore tracking may choose to install. I also have a Tiger Racing hood, roll bar, race seat and harnesses, something people that just want to do a few track days a year don't need. The beauty of the Mustang is you have so many options to customize it the way you want it. We also get the benefit of all the experience FRPP has with the race teams, and it's great that they make the race parts available for the regular Mustang owners.

cloud9 said:
Tflong24 said:
I ran 18 track days without the cooler last year and had no issues with oil temps. In fact my oil looked great at each oil change when I expected it to look pretty black. Your observation is correct, this is more of a mod for those of us that regularly track their car. It's not necessary, just one of those things that people that are hardcore tracking may choose to install. I also have a Tiger Racing hood, roll bar, race seat and harnesses, something people that just want to do a few track days a year don't need. The beauty of the Mustang is you have so many options to customize it the way you want it. We also get the benefit of all the experience FRPP has with the race teams, and it's great that they make the race parts available for the regular Mustang owners.

Yes, I agree. I love there is so much out there for mustangs. I chose the Boss over an M3. I have owned several 5.0s and when I saw the Boss development on speed channel I knew I wanted one. The Boss eats the M3s lunch and is a lot simpler to modify or improve. I just hate when you have to modify things that should have been resolved in the development process, i.e cooling issues.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I owned the first year '07 335i 6 speed that had an oil cooler, autos did not and track day cars overheated the oil and the cars went into limp mode, also there was a big forum uproar about class action suits against BMW (sound familiar). BMW even changed the oil temp gauge to read up to 340 degrees because the original went to 300 and people freaked when the needle went past the middle. (sound familiar again, that's why our oil pressure and temp "gauges" don't move). All cars have teething problems and tracking really exposes things. I tracked my car 7 days last summer and drove round trip each time, no overheating issues and like Gary each time I changed the oil with 1500 miles on it it was still clear and dark amber. This running a 7400 rpm limit with "only" a Coyote motor modded to 407 RWHP. I will eventually get this cooler but don't feel it's a requirement for spirited driving on the street. Think of it this way the cost of this item is 1/40th the price of the car, in 1970 the Drag pack was $170 for the oil cooler, 4.30 gears and Detroit locker. Take out the gear and diff and it's probably close to 1/40th the price. I applaud the support Ford Racing gives us amateur racers, think of all the goodies we can get with OEM quality and durability testing done.
Steve

Tflong24 said:

steveespo said:
I applaud the support Ford Racing gives us amateur racers, think of all the goodies we can get with OEM quality and durability testing done.
Steve
FTW It's great that FR is offering these products, It's like having your own personal R&D team. 8) I'm only tracking my car a few times a year and have no intention of buying the oil cooler but it sure is nice to know it's an option.

steveespo said:
I owned the first year '07 335i 6 speed that had an oil cooler, autos did not and track day cars overheated the oil and the cars went into limp mode, also there was a big forum uproar about class action suits against BMW (sound familiar). BMW even changed the oil temp gauge to read up to 340 degrees because the original went to 300 and people freaked when the needle went past the middle. (sound familiar again, that's why our oil pressure and temp "gauges" don't move). All cars have teething problems and tracking really exposes things. I tracked my car 7 days last summer and drove round trip each time, no overheating issues and like Gary each time I changed the oil with 1500 miles on it it was still clear and dark amber. This running a 7400 rpm limit with "only" a Coyote motor modded to 407 RWHP. I will eventually get this cooler but don't feel it's a requirement for spirited driving on the street. Think of it this way the cost of this item is 1/40th the price of the car, in 1970 the Drag pack was $170 for the oil cooler, 4.30 gears and Detroit locker. Take out the gear and diff and it's probably close to 1/40th the price. I applaud the support Ford Racing gives us amateur racers, think of all the goodies we can get with OEM quality and durability testing done.
Steve

Tflong24 said:

Yes, I had a 335 and a Dinan tuned 535. I am aware of the oil temp issues, but that was mainly on cars without the oil cooler. And the 335 wasn't really a street car for the track as the boss is. All I am saying is when you have such a great high revving engine like the Boss, cooling(oil and engine temp) should be a non issue after the track time the Boss did in development, with the knowledge from the race teams. I do like FRPP stuff and am glad they continue to release products they develop from track time. all cars need tweaking from the factory. That's why you see even the most track oriented vehicles like Porsche GT?? modified. track duty is extreme. Cooling is a basic tho, you would hope factory guys would get that settled out.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Tflong
Gotcha, but how about the 2001 E46 M3s and the con rod bearing failures and the TWS Castrol 10w60 controversy? That car was a track car for the street and BMW got roasted in the forums too. I had an '04 and that was a great car, no sunroof, cloth/alcantara seats and 8200 redline. My point is without support the manufacturers won't take the chance and make these awesome cars. Like I always admit I am a super Ford fanman. I have owned and still own BMWs, Porsches, VWs and even a Fiat. My heart is with Ford though having owned 17 since 1983. Really moving off topic here,sorry, can't wait to hear some user reviews.
Steve

steveespo said:
Tflong
Gotcha, but how about the 2001 E46 M3s and the con rod bearing failures and the TWS Castrol 10w60 controversy? That car was a track car for the street and BMW got roasted in the forums too. I had an '04 and that was a great car, no sunroof, cloth/alcantara seats and 8200 redline. My point is without support the manufacturers won't take the chance and make these awesome cars. Like I always admit I am a super Ford fanman. I have owned and still own BMWs, Porsches, VWs and even a Fiat. My heart is with Ford though having owned 17 since 1983. Really moving off topic here,sorry, can't wait to hear some user reviews.
Steve

Exactly why I bought the Boss over an M3. BMW has had lots of issues. High pressure fuel pump on all 35 series cars another example. And yes, back to topic. Enjoy talking cars, I'll try not to stray off course. I love this forum.

An oil to air oil cooler is great idea. You don't have to pay $1200 for it. An oil thermostat is another great idea.

ArizonaGT said:
Spendy, spendy. Will be putting this on the list for conversion to track beast only mode.
$1100 for the FRPP versus $1500 for the Cooltech one. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and for what features.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
$1100 for the FRPP versus $1500 for the Cooltech one. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and for what features.

FRPP one, IMO; don't feel like installing this until it's a track dog only, and at that point I won't need the thermostat. In the meantime, I am just changing my oil every two events. So far I am coming up on my 6th (?) oil change, at around only 5700 miles on the odometer.

The cooltech one looks like the perfect fit for someone that wants this on a streetcar, however.

TMO Supporting Vendors