The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FRPP LCA Relocation Brackets with stock LCA's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will these FRPP relocation brackets work with the stock boss 302/GT500 lower control arms?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13112

Sesshomurai

The part description for those brackets says:

... Requires aftermarket lower control arms....

Because typically the lengths will be different and thus adjustable arms "should" be required - in my humble opinion.

darreng505 said:
The part description for those brackets says:

... Requires aftermarket lower control arms....

Because typically the lengths will be different and thus adjustable arms "should" be required - in my humble opinion.

Whats really throwing me off is this:

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Shelby_GT500_Rear_Lower_Control_Arm_Kit_p/m-5538-a.htm

In the description it says "Great for use with rear control arm relocation kit M-5650-A to further reduce rear wheel hop."

And if I'm not mistaken those are the exact same LCA's as the stock boss 302 ones? lol And to make it even more confusing if you go on that website to the page where the LCA Relocation brackets are the description for that says "Mustang GT customers should purchase GT500 lower control arm kit M-5538-A or aftermarket equivalent."

ok good stuff. Thanks guys

Now is there any other brackets that work with the stock LCA's? I really prefer going with FRPP stuff though.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I replaced my LCAs with FRPP tublar LCAs with bushings because the stock pieces flex under load. I also addedd the FRPP relocation brackets.

Adding the brackets without upgrading the LCAs, in my opinion, will not give you the desired result of eliminating wheel hop. The LCAs will continue to flex and hop will occur.

So it looks like these LCA's and the FRPP Relocation brackets are the winning combo!

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10918

Upon doing some more research, I found this thread also: https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/lca-relocation-brackets/30/

Are these the same FRPP LCA's that you guys have been having issues with?

BOSS5OH said:
So it looks like these LCA's and the FRPP Relocation brackets are the winning combo!

Upon doing some more research, I found this thread also: https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/lca-relocation-brackets/30/

The "issue" was related to a very small run that were made incorrectly and FRPP replaced them. Anything you would buy now shouldn't have that issue.

Did you install lowering springs? The LCA relocation brackets are needed when you lower the car. If you're running stock springs, I wouldn't install the relocation brackets. Either the poly bushing LCAs you referenced above or the rod end M-5649-S LCAs like I have from the 302S should eliminate the wheel hop. To ensure it's completely eliminated you can also install an upgraded UCA like I did, but it's probably not necessary to eliminate wheel hop.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
cloud9 said:
BOSS5OH said:

The "issue" was related to a very small run that were made incorrectly and FRPP replaced them. Anything you would buy now shouldn't have that issue.

Did you install lowering springs? The LCA relocation brackets are needed when you lower the car. If you're running stock springs, I wouldn't install the relocation brackets. Either the poly bushing LCAs you referenced above or the rod end M-5649-S LCAs like I have from the 302S should eliminate the wheel hop. To ensure it's completely eliminated you can also install an upgraded UCA like I did, but it's probably not necessary to eliminate wheel hop.

I was one of the guys who received the set of FRPP LCAs which were not correct. I did not buy directly from Ford. I used one of the larger online suppliers.

When Gary contacted Ford they agreed to immediately ship a new set of arms. The arms at my house are awaiting my return to the states for installation. Took less than a week from the time Ford heard about the issue to have the new parts to my door. Ford asked me to keep the old LCAs which I will do, and use the bushings as spares.

I would not be concerned about receiving the incorrect arms like I did. I ordered them in early spring. Ford has addressed the issue, a supplier issue, and assured us they have fixed the problem. The problem was that the manufacturer who welded the arms put small ends on both ends. One should be about 1/2 inch wider that the other. New arms have been inspected and they are correct.

I highly recomment the FRPP arms and brackets. OEM quality and made to work together. :D

cloud9 said:
BOSS5OH said:

Yup I have the FRPP lowering springs. I'm just looking at doing the relocation brackets and new LCA's to bring the rear suspension geometry back to spec. I'm most likely going to go with the FRPP M-5649-R1 (FR500C with bushing tubular LCA's" and the FRPP M-5650-A (Relocation brackets"

I love doing FRPP parts because everything I've bought from them has been top notch quality and fitment/ease of install has been better than most other aftermarket companies.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
FWIW, the OEM arms WILL fit in the LCA relocation brackets, but only in the lowest hole. I had mine in there for two weeks while I waited for my FRPP arms to show up.

Lol. Everyone is saying something different.
Whats the difference between having them mounted in the lower/upper hole, and did you notice anything between the stock/FRPP LCA's? Which is optimal for a car lowered 1.5 inches?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
The only reason I know they fit, and where they fit, is because I had to move the car and the FRPP arms had not been delivered yet. Bolted in the OEM arms so I could get the car out of the garage (roofers were coming, didn't want crap falling on it).

Anyway, the ends of the OEM arm are physically too large to fit in the preferred upper location. The arms hit the relocation bracket. Definitely won't work. They will bolt into the lower hole without issue.

That lower location is too low for a 1.5" drop. For short term use, it will be fine (IE: safe).

BOSS5OH said:
Lol. Everyone is saying something different.
Whats the difference between having them mounted in the lower/upper hole, and did you notice anything between the stock/FRPP LCA's? Which is optimal for a car lowered 1.5 inches?
The 302S initially came with them in the lower hole, but the race teams found the upper hole performed better so they relocated them. I just followed their lead. I noticed a huge improvement in the FRPP LCAs. You would get significant wheel hop with the stock LCAs and associated rubber bushings. The rod ends on my FRPP LCAs, and to a similar degree those with the poly bushings, do not allow the deflection you get with the stockers.

Sesshomurai

JScheier said:
That lower location is too low for a 1.5" drop. For short term use, it will be fine (IE: safe).

Can you elaborate on this please? I have around a 1.5-1.8" drop and have my adj. LCA's mounted in the lowest hole of my BMR relo brackets. This has greatly improved rear end stability during high speed braking (especially on declining straights). My research on this prior turned up that the lowest holes are best (needed) for extremely lowered vehicles to keep the LCA geometry in tact relative to the rear axle.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Oops. I gotta take back what I said earlier. They wouldn't fit in the bracket upper hole with the stock LCAs.

For a 1.5" drop or more, I would use the lower hole.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
darreng505 said:
Can you elaborate on this please? I have around a 1.5-1.8" drop and have my adj. LCA's mounted in the lowest hole of my BMR relo brackets. This has greatly improved rear end stability during high speed braking (especially on declining straights).

I do not consider 1.5" an extreme drop. 2" or greater, yes, extreme, and then you run into other issues (pinion angle, damper range of movement & lack of travel, roll centers, instant center, etc. Will moving the arms from the OEM location to 'a' lower location on the axle increase rear stability when lowering the rear of the car 1.5", yes. Will moving them to the lowest hole with this drop help more, I'm not seeing it.

I do have a question... has anyone put the BMR brackets against the FRPP brackets to see if they offer the same relocation distances? Wondering if one is longer / shorter than the other?

My research on this prior turned up that the lowest holes are best (needed) for extremely lowered vehicles to keep the LCA geometry in tact relative to the rear axle.

If your research included days at the track changing between the two holes and measuring changes in pinion angle, instant center and lap times, then your research is good for your car, at your ride-height and for your driving style. As I did test all of the above (with FRPP spherical end LCAs) at my ride-height and did not see an improvement in the lower setting, I'm going to tend to disagree with you. Of course, I did find that a 25# change in rear spring rates greatly improved corner exit speed (vs. the same spring rate in the lower LCA bracket) as well as transitional stability, but sometimes I get a little 'crazy' with my testing.

Edit1: speeling :)

Edit2: also, note that while the car may feel better at the lower setting, it can make the car slower coming out of corners and putting the power down as the tires 'hit' (drag racing term) harder. Just something to try. Check your sector times on your local course with the arms in each setting... see which setting works best with getting out of the corner and getting that increase in corner exit speed.

TMO Supporting Vendors