The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FRPP part number M-9601-MGT K&N filter for use with TracKey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford Customer Service responded to a reference made in the CARB EO to a replacement air filter cartridge. I am posting the question and response below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twawsico
Am I the only one wondering what this "replacement air filter cartridge" is about? I don't see that in the dealer instructions or anywhere else for that matter. Did I just miss it?

No, it does not come with a replacement air filter cartridge, twawsico. FRPP frequently pursues Executive Orders for kits that include parts that they do not provide, to allow them flexibility in the future. Customers should be getting their info about FRPP parts from their website www.FordRacingParts.com, and not the CARB website which is not intended for viewing by retail customers.

Should you guys wish to purchase an air filter from FRPP, the part number is M-9601-MGT, but it's not part of the TracKey package.

I just ordered one from http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.aspx?p=M9601MGT&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping

There's a notice that says:
*For use with premium (91 octane or higher) fuel only.
*Does not require tuner.

I thought that was interesting. I assume it must be related to the higher air flow. I've been going through the paper filters about every other track weekend so decided to upgrade. Hopefully it's worth a few ponies on top of it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Gary:

This is the same filter I've run on my car since day 1. I already did the dyno comparison to the paper filter using the black key (you may remember my results). The K&N was good for about 5-7hp from 5200rpm to 6700rpm, but after that it was the same as the stock paper filter.

We'll see tomorrow morning if the TK expands that HP bump past 6700rpm.

MoscowBoss

BOSS 771
NC USA
Thanks Cloud9! Just ordered mine. Have TK install schedule in Dec. and have QTP exhaust cutouts on the way. That will be the total of my mods. ;D

Oh, forgot I have the LS gauge pack also but that was installed by the dealer before delivery so I don't consider it a mod.

I wonder if the Airaid intake/filter will have similar results.

Yep, was a good 25% of Joe's driving before school. Got to 35% after school and now while listening to Charlie in my head every day I am out there I may be up to 39%. Just a few more years and I could even break 70% ::)

Back to the filter thing........does anyone know if the FRPP M-9601-MGT filter is the same filter as the K&N 33-2431. I think it is and you can pick those up at Auto Zone for $45 instead of $75 for the FRPP. Just a thought.

1BadBoss said:
Back to the filter thing........does anyone know if the FRPP M-9601-MGT filter is the same filter as the K&N 33-2431. I think it is and you can pick those up at Auto Zone for $45 instead of $75 for the FRPP. Just a thought.
I'm pretty sure they are the same.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/FORD-RACING-K-N-AIR-FILTER-GT-2010/p/M9601MGT/

I have the #33-2431 in mine. I had bought for the 2011 GT that I traded in on the boss. It drops right in, so I would assume it's the same filter as the frrp one.

1BadBoss said:

This is the one I have.

1BadBoss said:
Good to know. I paid $51 plus like $8 shipping for the FRPP one. Of course I did it from my laptop and didn't have to drive to the store ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors