The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Frustrated Future Boss Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am unaware on anyone else having difficulties with Ford and their process in ordering the new Boss Mustang but I can say....I'm one of them.

This may be a case of not being patient enough but then again maybe its not.

I ordered the car on 2-14-11 from a hometown dealership and they informed me it was a 3rd quarter car but would be placed with a 2nd quarter order. My salesman tells me I should get the car by the date I was most concerned about (September 1) and that he would keep me posted.

On 2-17-11 I was informed the order has been placed. On 2-21-11 the salesman called me and stated the order is being processed but on a "material hold"

I called Ford Customer Relations on 3-23-11 and again asked to see what the status of the car was and they informed me it again was "order processing-material hold."

I joined the forum of the Blue Oval to do a tracking request and on 4-14-11 I was informed the vehicle is "Order Processing-Unscheduled-Material Hold"

Today 4-15-11 a member of Ford Customer Relations called to follow up on a case # it was given and she told me the car isn't being "Produced"......I immediately said the car has been produced and there are several already sold and driving around.

She was just able to tell me it would be months before the car would be "produced" and that if I had any questions to please call back later. I asked if the order would be filled and she said yes. However, she wasn't able to give me a day,week,month or hell even the year I would recieve it!

Maybe I might just have to reconsider the purchase and go with something on a sales lot! Frustrating! Personally if you can place the order, work on filling the order not just let it sit. If its a 3rd quarter car....place the order in the 3rd quarter.

And material hold? If you don't have the materials to build the thing.....don't offer it! Bad business to allow customers to order items you dont have or don't know when you will get.

Sorry for venting but this whole process has not been easy for me.

2012 Boss racer

Man you got it bad!!!!.....waiting sucks we will all tell you that. The dealer can put in the order any time they want and ford will build it when it gets to it's place in line. The earliest your looking at is July. They will not have any info until the order is pulled and the car is scheduled for production. This is usually only a few weeks before it is going to be produced, you might hear something around the middle of June. The only other option would be to call around and find another boss for sale at another dealer that has an early allocation or actually already has a car. 12bosskb just found a boss at another dealer because he got tired of waiting. That's about our only option. I placed my order in December, and my car was built march 11 and delivered April 1. Just try to be patient. That is definitely the hardest part, but it is well worth the wait!

(Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am only speaking from my own experience.)

Your car being "placed" with a 2nd quarter order means nothing. You have a 3rd quarter allocation, so that is when you will get your car. Now you also have to take into account the fact that they are still producing 1st quarter cars. No one has received anything in regards to their 2nd quarter cars that I have heard as of yet. So if 2nd quarter cars start production(hopefully!!) in the beginning of may, then things seem to be a month behind. Which then(in theory still) puts 2nd quarter builds to may, june, and july. Based on that, 3rd quarter cars would then be august, september, october. Now this is all speculation at this point, but there has been problem after problem so it seems with getting cars built at the beginning of this year. Your option is to either wait it out, find an earlier build quarter from another dealer, or find one sitting on a lot somewhere the dealer doesn't want to charge an extra $10k for.

The biggest problem you are having is your dealer getting your hopes up by telling you your car order was placed with a 2nd quarter car. Of course we all want our cars built asap, but the reality is that ford is allocating them how they see fit, so it becomes a waiting game. So hang in there!

Nccstud said:
The biggest problem you are having is your dealer getting your hopes up by telling you your car order was placed with a 2nd quarter car. Of course we all want our cars built asap, but the reality is that ford is allocating them how they see fit, so it becomes a waiting game. So hang in there!
That's part of it but also suprmn doesn't understand the process. If you have a third quarter build don't expect any information other than "material hold" until the third quarter. Like it or not it's that simple. Until your dealers allocation is pulled there is no additional information Ford or your dealer can give you. Sit back and enjoy the wait like the rest of us. ;D

Thanks guys for all of your support and information regarding the building process. 5 DOT 0 hit on the head, I am not familiar with the whole thing and really can't do anything but wait.

There is no way I am going to pay $3-5K more just to get my hand on one early......although it may not seem like it now, I CAN wait.

In the meantime, I will enjoy hearing about what everyone is doing to their cars and how they love every mile they put on them.

Best positive to all of the waiting..........it allows me to put more $ down when it comes time to pick it up.

suprmn said:
Thanks guys for all of your support and information regarding the building process. 5 DOT 0 hit on the head, I am not familiar with the whole thing and really can't do anything but wait.
It's a frustrating experience for sure. I made up my mind to buy a Boss on November 12th when I saw a silver LS at the SacAutoShow and have had a few issues along the way. I think the wait will be worth as the performance of this car is amazing. Enjoy the ride!

Don't feel bad man....my car was ordered 3 DEC 2010.....MY dealer won't even confirm what QUARTER BUILD it is...so I already sold my Roush and have my vanity plate approved and don't have a CLUE when my build date is......unscheduled material hold is all I know...I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

ulev1st said:
Don't feel bad man....my car was ordered 3 DEC 2010.....MY dealer won't even confirm what QUARTER BUILD it is...so I already sold my Roush and have my vanity plate approved and don't have a CLUE when my build date is......unscheduled material hold is all I know...I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
Your dealer needs to send their rep an email requesting the build quarter for all their allocations.

ulev1st said:

I second exactly what 5 Dot 0 said. You need to make him confirm what quarter build it is. If he can't go as far as to confirm what quarter build the car is...I would start to highly question whether or not he even has an allocation for the car to be built...

Nccstud said:
ulev1st said:

I second exactly what 5 Dot 0 said. You need to make him confirm what quarter build it is. If he can't go as far as to confirm what quarter build the car is...I would start to highly question whether or not he even has an allocation for the car to be built...

Agreed!
A guy on TMS just found out his dealer doesn't have an allocation for an LS he's been waiting for.

GA
Jza1736 said:
Nccstud said:
ulev1st said:

Agreed!
A guy on TMS just found out his dealer doesn't have an allocation for an LS he's been waiting for.

My dealer supposedly had 6 allocations for regular Boss and one LS, and so far they have only received a CO (which they got 5,500 over for) and no word on the rest, other than they were told they were getting less.

I had a dealer in CT tell me "we sold our allocation but come down and leave a deposit so we know you are serious. We can usually squeeze a special car out". Where the hell was he squeezing it from his arse.

Jza1736 said:
I had a dealer in CT tell me "we sold our allocation but come down and leave a deposit so we know you are serious. We can usually squeeze a special car out". Where the hell was he squeezing it from his arse.
Right, not happening at MSRP. Highly unlikely a dealer would let one of their Bosses go for less than MSRP at this point on a dealer trade.

TMO Supporting Vendors