The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 FTWMS #50 S197 NASA Super Touring Racecar Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Why yes, I do Mr. TMS, but in the true fashion of Mr. Senior Moment of Nebraska, I forgot where I put the files. I do have a new Sandisk installed so maybe some shots will pop up here this year.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Chris, enjoyed seeing coverage of the incident at Chuckwalla - featured as the NASA Speed News “Move of the Month”! Link below for anyone that doesn’t receive the NASA email.

https://nasaspeed.news/columns/gopro-move-of-the-month/you-make-the-call/
“How to lose a race with this one simple trick”

I wish I had a time machine, there was a couple laps left and if I kept filling his mirrors maybe it would have worked out better or a better opportunity would have presented itself

I just hope I find confidence in this weekends races.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I wish I had a time machine, there was a couple laps left and if I kept filling his mirrors maybe it would have worked out better or a better opportunity would have presented itself

Maybe, maybe not. You made the right move. Screw the blue camaro. Next time he's ahead of you, play bumper tag. No mercy. You don't need to wreck him, just let him know you're there. Then park it on his inside rear corner, every corner, until he messes up or you're able to get in next to him, then run him wide and pull away.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Having read through both of your build threads (the first one twice), I'm loving the journey you and your car have gone through. Yourself, ArizonaBOSS, and Fabman (among others) really provide a lot to this community with your insight and documentation. Thank you.

One thing I've been curious about is it looks like your cage is tied into the strut towers. Did you get any grief over that? I can't really tell from reading NASA's rules if it is explicitly allowed or falls under a gray area.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
They're coming, I've just had little time for things online. My job took over my life*(largest understatement I've ever made) and I just spent a month trying to change it- ultimately I'm still with the current employer but hopefully with some real lines drawn in the sand.

Some updates to come but short stuff:

• built a new splitter that's tool-less disconnect and chassis-mounted
  • Won a 2021 regional championship for ST2 in Arizona (my 2nd championship).
  • Upped my race/class wins to 10 total in NASA (5 in Pro Auto) and 30 overall podium finishes.
  • Have plans to race the national championship in 2022 at MRLS
  • The custom 5.0L engine is still here, in the car despite my best attempts otherwise
  • Chasing some heat concerns and depleted budget, but hopefully lots to change in 2022.

TX
They're coming, I've just had little time for things online. My job took over my life*(largest understatement I've ever made) and I just spent a month trying to change it- ultimately I'm still with the current employer but hopefully with some real lines drawn in the sand.

• Upped my race/class wins to 10 total in NASA (5 in Pro Auto) and 30 overall podium finishes.
  • The custom 5.0L engine is still here, in the car despite my best attempts otherwise
  • Chasing some heat concerns and depleted budget, but hopefully lots to change in 2022.
What did I miss about your engine? Everything okay?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

I will be happy to come to MLS to support. God forbid something happens you have a shop with a lift nearby at your service.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
What did I miss about your engine? Everything okay?
lol yes everything is fine. I think most just expect me to be onto the next by now. this one is running strong. I'm changing the plugs on it this weekend and peaking under the cam covers but otherwise will continue to run it another season before refreshing chains and other valvetrain components.

TX
lol yes everything is fine. I think most just expect me to be onto the next by now. this one is running strong. I'm changing the plugs on it this weekend and peaking under the cam covers but otherwise will continue to run it another season before refreshing chains and other valvetrain components.
You had me worried for a second. Glad to hear it’s still good 😂

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ok, I have to ask you West Coast guys, since I know of no track with the initials MLS, are you referring to Laguna Seca as Monterrey Laguna Seca? I figure it is more likely " Mazda Laguna Seca" , the old Automotive Sponsor who bought the track naming rights for many years. That is my best answer , unless there is some new track out on the West Coast those of us in the snowbound Midwest are unaware of?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Mazda Raceway LS....

Hard to keep track of ownership/name changes...I mean, Mosport was Mosport since the ark sailed. Now....CTMP.....Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

Always gonna be Mosport, tho, to us old f.a.r.t.s :p.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I completely understand and figured that likely was the correct answer. Having raced Spec Miata for years I liked the ring of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, but with the proliferation of new tracks I figured I should ask. I still call Utah Motorsports Campus , Miller, and even those of us in the Southern Part of North America have trouble calling Mosport anything but Mosport. Thanks for the note, glad I analyzed things correctly - heck, I still call Sonoma " Sears Point" and Palm Beach International is Moroso. Understand my last listing is soon to be defunct, so I guess both names will just go into the listing of closed/abandoned race tracks.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Your perseverance has paid off. Makes all those hard times getting here a little easier to bare.

TMO Supporting Vendors