The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fuel Rail Covers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've often wondered how long they would last. Can you post a photo of where they are deteriorating?

Didn't get a chance to upload yesterday. Suspension mod took longer than I thought.

Here are the pics. The foam just started crumbling on the edges where I touched it when removing and re-installing it for a water temp port. If you rub it, it comes apart in coffee ground sized pieces.

15736816060_e6f649a7ef_b.jpg
15898307856_519f6b24ab_b.jpg
15736661978_a24a93d704_b.jpg

Extra credit for anyone who can tell me what the heck the piece that sticks up off the firewall that looks like it's wrapped in electrical tape in the last picture. The dealer couldn't tell me what it's for.

THRAPY said:
Didn't get a chance to upload yesterday. Suspension mod took longer than I thought.

Here are the pics. The foam just started crumbling on the edges where I touched it when removing and re-installing it for a water temp port. If you rub it, it comes apart in coffee ground sized pieces.

Extra credit for anyone who can tell me what the heck the piece that sticks up off the firewall that looks like it's wrapped in electrical tape in the last picture. The dealer couldn't tell me what it's for.
LOL I've always wondered what that piece on the firewall is too.

Have you ever used products like Armorall on the covers before? I usually just wipe mine down with a damp cloth.

It's grounded on the firewall but beyond that, no idea what it is.

I don't use anything under the hood with silicone or petroleum. No idea what the guy who owned it before me may have put on it.

I like that they dampen some noise but I really don't care for the fact that they are just foam blocks. Under hood is too hot for long term stability. Like anything else, they will dry out and fall apart. Just didn't expect so soon.

Bay Area
THRAPY said:
It's grounded on the firewall but beyond that, no idea what it is.

I don't use anything under the hood with silicone or petroleum. No idea what the guy who owned it before me may have put on it.

I like that they dampen some noise but I really don't care for the fact that they are just foam blocks. Under hood is too hot for long term stability. Like anything else, they will dry out and fall apart. Just didn't expect so soon.

In the interim until you find a suitable replacement why don't you see if Ford will replace thme under warranty, (if you still have one)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I have a 2012, and I actually removed those covers as well as the front foam block under the IM.

I'm hoping to let some heat out of the engine.

If you are still within your 36/36 warranty period, you should have them replaced under warranty.

Good Luck,
Dave

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
THRAPY said:
15736661978_a24a93d704_b.jpg

Pretty sure it's a grounding strap. I think the tape is for strain relief for that little bit of slack. Ford used to put the ground strap in a location that was easily forgotten when pulling the engine, and was also prone to corrosion issues mounted on the lower side of the block. I'm sure that's not a major issue anymore.

TMO Supporting Vendors