The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Fueling Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
2011 GT, 95000 miles, 99% track car. I will take the car to the gas station before a track weekend to fill the tank so it is ready to go for the first session outside of checking tire pressures, etc. I am having an issue with the pump clicking off after a gallon or two and repeatedly doing so until I manage to get the tank full. Filling it from the fuel jug(s) does not seem to be a problem. Any ideas what might be triggering the fuel shut off?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Lot's of info in this thread

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
Thanks for the replies. I've tried about every angle with the pump nozzle with no consistent luck. I need to trace the vent lines and see what I can find. Is there a diagram available that would help with the process?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Are you getting any codes? Like P0442? This will happen when the control module detects a small evaporative leak. Happened to me once or twice as well. I did replace the hose above the axle backs and it fixed the fueling problem but that dang code still pops up from tyme-to-tyme. I just live with it and hopes it doesn't show up going through state inspection. While I have my Mustang guy looking at my electrical issues, he's going to replace the fuel filler inlet pipe. One other thing to consider that is a relatively cheap fix is to replace your fuel vapor line at the intake and see if that might be the culprit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
So, I finally had a few moments to dig into this a bit more. The vapor filter is not clogged. I blew in all 3 holes and got no resistance. The vent line is another matter. The picture below shows the section that was next to the exhaust pipe and it looks like nothing was getting through. I will be replacing it with a rubber hose re-routed away from the exhaust.20210705_152822[1].jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
So, no joy on the normal filling process. It goes at about 0.1 gallons before shutting off still. I looked and felt around for more lines too close and found two electrical conduits that needed moving and securing. I must not be looking in the right place.

TMO Supporting Vendors