The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

funky 2nd gear failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
This is new, out of the five previous MT82 trannies that have needed work on my car..... this is a first.... Car went from first to second on the way home and then pffft... No grinding gear, just no forward motion...... the gear just came off....... At least no secondary damage... Not sure if this counts as number six?.... New 2nd gear going in now with the engine rebuild.

Oh well...........

upload_2019-1-16_20-25-4.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol,, I have too agree!!! This is nuts... At least we are getting really good a changing trannies out. But the tremex XL is really to long (at least with the charts I made). I flirt with the idea of a Calimer GEforce setup gear, but only the gears are forged, the rest of the stuff is stock.. so waiting and looking for options. maybe a race box..... would love to have something that lasts!

I actually was about to get the geforce/Calimer setup when the engine became a top priority....$$$$

There is an upgrade HD 2nd gear available at about twice the price of the OEM gear. I have pics of both side by side I can post up later. I'm also going with the larger input 26 spline input shaft. Custom spec Mantic twin disk on the way also to try out.

It counts. :(

HD 2nd. Welds looks pretty similar...different material by looks...but I haven't confirmed
what steel spec is.

Attachments

• IMG_20190114_113218.jpg
    IMG_20190114_113218.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20190114_113156.jpg
    IMG_20190114_113156.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20190114_113235.jpg
    IMG_20190114_113235.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 146

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
:eek: WTF? When did this happen? o_O

After the Enduro toodling along to my home.... Shifted into 2nd and nothing.............. no motion.

Actually it was in the shop for the tranny when we did the compression test.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
HD 2nd. Welds looks pretty similar...different material by looks...but I haven't confirmed
what steel spec is.

Are those the AMP 2nd gears?... the HD ones?? Have been using those since build number three.. or was it two??? can't remember now... But any ways the AMP HD one died and a new AMP is on the shelf ready to go in..... Was supposed to be for the spare box thats waiting for a rebuild.........

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Dam was hoping it did not.....

What kind of idiot fixes the same tranny so many times!!

reminds me of Einsteins definition of insanity.

Or just count it as a 'mandatory refresh' and change the counts... :D

I don't recall any major carnage before...it's not like you 'lost' any of the cases, right? ;)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup... I would say ripped is too strong a word... More in fitting with the nature of this tranny..... "it declined to stay attached"

A little horrified at the ease it came apart, no more then 4 hours track time... Was new....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Or just count it as a 'mandatory refresh' and change the counts... :D

I don't recall any major carnage before...it's not like you 'lost' any of the cases, right? ;)

Lol,,, yes, you are right... I did not loose any of them... they just need constant refreshing....

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Gotta watch your blip going down into 2nd. Look like the HD synchro doesn't break teeth, just break off!

3-2 is a wider spread than 4-3. Make sure you get the revs up before grabbing 2nd. HD gears have more mass to get going...so it's not going to be easier on the connection between the gear and synchro than stock. Apparently, you've found it's weak link.

Lol,,, yes, you are right... I did not loose any of them... they just need constant refreshing....
Exactly. :D

Are those the AMP 2nd gears?... the HD ones?? Have been using those since build number three.. or was it two??? can't remember now... But any ways the AMP HD one died and a new AMP is on the shelf ready to go in..... Was supposed to be for the spare box thats waiting for a rebuild.........

Yes the AMP ones. I have the upgraded input shaft going into this tranny build also. I hope they hold up. I am still on my first OEM tranny with only some issues with reverse gear engagement hanging and occasionally missing 2nd gear on high rpm shifts. Been running the latest MGW shifter since spring 2017 with almost no missed shifts until recently during OUSCI.

So how long was this HD 2nd gear in your tranny before it failed? Wondering if I should have it tig welded in the slots it increased welded area??

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ahhh,,, I went and watched the videos of the last enduro...... I think I see the 2nd gear problem.... My video is the top one.

TMO Supporting Vendors