The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

funky 2nd gear failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, all his second gear down shifts are with a big rpm spread.... sometimes over 3000rpm.... No wonder he said the rear was crazy loose under braking.....

But on the bright side, he did not crash the car and he paid for half the race costs!!! Oh!! and we won! almost forgot. talk about looking on the bright side.... Pizza ... Luv pizza.... Wife does not.... Now I am sad again...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
That's a pretty good arrangement! I drive my friend's WRX and my only obligation is to help fix anything that breaks, which I would do anyway. I am storing the car for him, so I know that's a part of it.

Just rebuilt my T56 because 2nd gear would not engage while sitting at a red light. The inside and outside friction material on the synchronizer cones fell off completely all the way around right at that very moment. The good one is on the right and bad one is on the left. Must have been some time release glue holding them on and time ran out?
Timsyncros.jpg

syncros.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Went through the gear box and apart from the pulled apart 2nd gear its in perfect condition.... Since it seems to be a case of bad shifting I will leave the count at five MT82 failures and one self inflicted wound (by proxy). Six would just sound insane!

Grant 302

I wouldn't think the co-driver is obligated. I *would* teach him to heel-toe, before letting him in the car again! I'm glad the car lasted through the enduro considering. Re-watching the video, he's doing it everywhere.:eek: :(

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I wouldn't think the co-driver is obligated. I *would* teach him to heel-toe, before letting him in the car again! I'm glad the car lasted through the enduro considering. Re-watching the video, he's doing it everywhere.:eek: :(

I Know!!! Went through the full three hours video..... and his 50% of the track time is all the same with the rpm going into 2nd at 1500 and jumping wildly to 5000 rpm.... I am a little bit in the middle right now! He did pay his share of the event...(600km drive the track with gas etc.) and this year he will probably be a competitor is his S550 o_O;). Maybe I will just keep quite..... I feel the dark side whispering in my ear... Any ways he does not like corrections, so let sleeping dogs etc........

The gear box repair concided with the engine refresh so the engine was out anyways and swapping the 2nd gear was not very expensive.....

On the bright side, all the extra oil channeling, improved bearings and cooling seemed to have an effect.... the tranny had every right to pack it in during the race.

Ok Ok.... I will try to tell him... Making me feel guilty!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Confession... mi heel/toe sucks.... but I do revmatch my downshifts..... (thanks to grant scolding me, I am trying to get the over revs in control).

Grant 302

and this year he will probably be a competitor is his S550 o_O;). Maybe I will just keep quite..... I feel the dark side whispering in my ear... Any ways he does not like corrections, so let sleeping dogs etc........
Ok...maybe *don't* teach him! ;) He's going to be competition...But you'll need to find another co-driver for next year?

Grant 302

Confession... mi heel/toe sucks.... but I do revmatch my downshifts..... (thanks to grant scolding me, I am trying to get the over revs in control).
I don't remember scolding anyone..but there's no time like today to start getting better! Practice, practice, practice! I'm always practicing on the street and rev match every shift. If you shift like you don't have a synchro...you don't put much, if any stress on it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I don't remember scolding anyone..but there's no time like today to start getting better! Practice, practice, practice! I'm always practicing on the street and rev match every shift. If you shift like you don't have a synchro...you don't put much, if any stress on it.

Ok, lets say, you politely pointed out I was getting too exhuberant with rev matching the downshfits......Which I have been working on! Totally agreed on the revmatching in general its one of the joys of a manual..... But the heal toe is coming to me very slowly...... Might get one of those little black boxes to cheat with.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I did not express the co-driver is obligated, I just mentioned I hope he was considering helping? Considering (keyword ) assisting Madhatter is more a question of help and concern as a co driver, than a demand that obligation may infer - is that stated a bit better?

Last edited:

Grant 302

Ok, lets say, you politely pointed out I was getting too exhuberant with rev matching the downshfits......Which I have been working on! Totally agreed on the revmatching in general its one of the joys of a manual..... But the heal toe is coming to me very slowly...... Might get one of those little black boxes to cheat with.

lol. I guess I don't remember. About the AutoBlip...It's not cheating if it works!

TMO Supporting Vendors