The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FYI Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R - Size: 305/30R19 on close out at TireRack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
They are no longer listed "close out", so I asked in chat with a rep whether its a new tire or old stock and he/she said they have not come out with a new tire as of yet.
I was hoping to get the new compound with the $70 rebate ... I'll keep waiting.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Call TireRack and enter extension #4362 ( Luke Pavlik ) and he can give you the entire story. I have known him for 20+ years and he usually knows the scoop on new compounds and other info. Keep in mind the RE71Rs are primarily designed for auto crossing and the new hot tire competitor for cone killers is the A052 YokoMama ! There is a good chance that Bridgestone is coming out with a stickier RE71 , so chat with Luke and he may tell you that you are better off with the current model for HPDEs. A changed tire ( if coming ) might get greasy really quick if it has an even softer compound.

He does a lot of road course and autocross events himself , so he talks the talk , but has walked the walk clear back into the 90s. Tell him you are with TMO if you buy tires with him per his info so that the site gets a small credit - thanks.

PS - keep in mind I am not advocating a A052 , I am just saying when one Manufacturer gets aggressive the main competitors don't sleep, especially when it is two Japanese rivals. The tire size you want Yokohama does not currently make, but there are plenty of cars running one brand or the other in autocross competition and the compound wars could be in full swing. It has happened plenty of times over the last 4 decades.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any info since December, but IIRC at that time, the RE71 replacement for the US market was not really on the radar any time soon (like not 2021) For SCCA solo it would also have to be available by April to be legal. At that point, they were also saying that the RE71 currently in the pipeline were the last that were coming.

Luke or Brad/Ryan at Tire Rack would have newer information than I do, but IMO if you like the RE71 and they have your size I would grab them.

And don't forget the RT660 Falken as a new contender.

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Get the $70 bucks and grab your Bridgerocks like DaveW suggested, as I had heard exactly what he mentions, but figured a call to Luke would confirm. DaveW ( solo performance.com ) is one of the guys and whose company frequents a ton of Autocrosses yearly ( most to f the Major Events, Divisionals and Nationals ). He also runs in CAMC, and has been doing this since he was a little tyke ( he is no longer little , ha ) so he knows virtually all the Tire Manufacturers at the Major Solo Events. Keep in mind he has being doing this for decades and I have been around SCCA Solo since 1981. We trust the guys at Tire Rack and it is great they work with Track Mustangs Online to give back a small percentage to help the Forum.

TMO Supporting Vendors