The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

G-Loc brake pad question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bay Area
I won a set of G-Loc pads and wanted to get some advice before I placed my order.

Right now I’m running stock pads and rotor on street and track and they work for me now.

My question(s) is should I run pads that work well with stock rotors for now? If if I do what pads would you guys with experience recommend?

Do I get two sets of pads that I can run with stock rotors and swap out for street / track duty?

OR... do I pull my pants up and just buy a dedicated set pads and rotors for track use and swap as needed?

TIA

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I was lazy and left my track pads on my Boss 302 LS, but many folks like to switch. Since you won a free set just call G-Loc , ask for Danny Puskar and tell some old pest named Bill Pemberton told you to call him! Once you tell him your needs , experience level and tracks you run, he can give you a solid recommendation. I would highly recommend you state you need the pads pre-bedded as that is my only complaint with G-Loc pads - they are a pain in the arse to bed properly!

Bay Area
I was lazy and left my track pads on my Boss 302 LS, but many folks like to switch. Since you won a free set just call G-Loc , ask for Danny Puskar and tell some old pest named Bill Pemberton told you to call him! Once you tell him your needs , experience level and tracks you run, he can give you a solid recommendation. I would highly recommend you state you need the pads pre-bedded as that is my only complaint with G-Loc pads - they are a pain in the arse to bed properly!

Bill- I’ve been trying to get ahold of him and we haven’t been able to connect so I figured I’d get some info from TMO.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Coz,

Great question , and I have found it is not as critical since I used the same compound and pads each time. I do scuff things up a bit , but the advantage for me is most pads, when you read their bedding process, involves numerous stops from progressively higher speeds and then a cooling off period - then repeating the process. It seems, one needs new pads right in the middle of the day , when your next session will be run in an hour. The pre-bedded pads do alleviate this process to a certain extent , though I try to do a portion of the procedure when I get on track. If it is a race , then whoops , time to rock and roll, and pre - bedded pads may save your bacon. If running a Time Trial, I try to do some progressively harder stops and cool them down, since the first lap will be under caution at most tracks. Sure , if I run slower for a couple more laps I have to be cognizant of others, but having this done to the pads has worked well for the circumstances I invariably get myself into ,ha.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cool, glad you are set to go! Danny told me no problem with TMO folks having his email and always ask for a couple of decals so you can intimidate your competition, ha! Well, they are cool decals !

PS - Vorschlag and Optimum Performance both carry G-Loc pads too! Use the sidebar for TMO Sponsors , and let them know where you found their name when ordering.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, no problem Byron, I fully understood that, I was just letting other folks know if they could not reach the Manufacturer ( Danny and his brother do stay busy ) we do have folks who carry the product and support the Forum. This note was just a quick reference for others in case they did not know about those two sponsors.

You let Danny know, free or not , you need some of his cool decals , haha.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, you can swap back and forth between the pad sets on the same rotors. No need for separate rotors. Pre-Bedding cures the pad so you don't have to do it on track. It is the only way we sell any of the R Compounds. The transfer layer is easily done in the first session. Do not attempt to bed in the GS-1, just drive them normally. Sand the OE rotors with 80 grit paper and the new pads will transfer over really nice, running the GS1's basically keeps the rotors prepped for the R compounds. When you swap they will come in really quick on track. Brake late and hard.

TMO Supporting Vendors