The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Garage Flooring and RaceDeck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any of you use a garage flooring like RaceDeck, Tuff Seal, or an epoxy paint? I've looked at RD before and like it but I wonder if it's really as noisy as some think it is. I have some samples and I think it's going to be fine. I also have samples of Tuff Seal and it's terrific. Only problem is it's twice as expensive at RD and I don't think I want to spend that much money in my garage. The Armor Garage epoxy paint looks great but I wonder how long it will last.

So what are you using?

http://www.racedeck.com/residential.html

https://www.tuffsealtile.com/

http://www.armorgarage.com/howtoepyoflv.html

98RedGT

2012 #552
I did my right before winter with epoxy paint and it turned out great.
But here are a few tips:
1. Prep
2. Prep
3. Prep
4. Don't use their filler it makes that spot slightly darker then rest
DSCF0230.jpg
DSCF0233.jpg
DSCF0315.jpg

I am using

http://www.floorjunkies.com/garage-flooring/modutile.html?pattern=123

it is $1.98 per sq foot with free shipping.

I ordered samples from RaceDeck and floor junkies and the Race Deck was glossy and the Floor junkies has a textured surface.

Paul

2013boss302 said:
I am using

http://www.floorjunkies.com/garage-flooring/modutile.html?pattern=123

it is $1.98 per sq foot with free shipping.

I ordered samples from RaceDeck and floor junkies and the Race Deck was glossy and the Floor junkies has a textured surface.

Paul
Thanks, that looks interesting. Does it snap together similar to RD?

I like the look of epoxy floors but I'm concerned how it's going to look in a few years.

I used Rustoleum's Epoxyshield Pro floor coating bought through Lowe's for $90 each (probably has gone up by now) a little over 4 years ago. The flakes that came with it did not work out well for me.

The best results for me was to do two coats (box states one coat coverage) becuse I had some thin spots. You MUST apply the second coat within a couple of days in warm weather or less than acceptable results will happen. The part of my garage I did correctly came out great, easy to clean looks good and durable, a little slipery at times but no other issues.

I can post (if I can figue out how - new to fourms and such) a few pics in a couple of days if you like, including my mistake(s).

You need to use an external photo hosting site and link to the photos. Thanks for you offer and feel free to post the photos but I've ruled out epoxy floor paint.

Here's a couple of others I'm considering.

Norsk

http://www.norsk-stor.com/NSMPRC.html

Flexi-Tile

http://www.flexitiles.com/coinpattern.htm

Does anyone else have any experience with any of the plastic or PVC floor tiles?

98RedGT

2012 #552
I am just asking questions here but on something like plastic tiles how does water drain or how do you clean it up? I would think that on something like this water would seep through from snow melting off the car, etc., and then just be stuck underneath. Anybody have experience with this?

4dRacer said:
I am just asking questions here but on something like plastic tiles how does water drain or how do you clean it up? I would think that on something like this water would seep through from snow melting off the car, etc., and then just be stuck underneath. Anybody have experience with this?
Check out Garage Journal .com and there are lots of guys that have RD and live where it snows. The decking has draining built into the substructure and doesn't seem to be an issue. From my research RD probably has the best drainage of this type of flooring.

I've requested samples from Norsk and Flexi-Tile and will report back when they arrive.

Another alternative is to get it stained and diamond polished. When there done the floor will look like you have a grant floor. The cost isn't much more than having someone epoxy it for you, but it 10 times more durable and less slippery when wet. We had it done to our basement and when funds are available I plan on doing the garage floors.

concrete-polishing-Canberra-polished-concrete-floors-flooring.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
It looks like another member is going to beat me to installing new garage flooring. I've checked out four different flooring and I'm going with RaceDeck. I'll post photos once it's installed in about four weeks.
My wife was impatient so it was ordered last Friday. ;D It should arrive this coming week in time for Phase 2 of the garage remodel. 23 hours of painting this weekend and I'm shot :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

5 DOT 0 said:
Wow that looks great, is that Kona Blue? ;) Are you going to paint the foundation? Since I had a little extra time today I created more designs but I keep coming back to the same 2x2 checkered. I'll order mine in a couple of weeks after you've had a chance to test yours. :eek:
Thanks :D I think it's Ford blue? ::) Phase 2 includes something for the wall ;) We've been back and forth on the foundation. We probably should paint it, but we had all we could take by 8 o'clock tonight. We'll probably tackle it some night this week.

Flooring in the garage, over 7 years this has been my business. It's like cars everybody has a opinion, also it depends on how deep your pocket is. 1st plastic flooring has a place in this, good bad and ugly, if you install it, later you could remove it and take it with you. When installing you have to leave a cap along the walls for expansion it will grow, for the ugly part, it will smell bad after water sits on the concrete, rain, snow, the worst part is after a German Shepard has a leak, I had a customer to remove it after a year. We came back and installed our resin floor (epoxy). Yes the plastic for is noisy, when you walk on it, sound like you are walking on plastic, which you are. You can put down a rubber mat that helps with this.
Polishing concrete, we can do this too, old concrete looks ok but you will see all the cracks and the larger stones, and it will dull after a while. All concrete can be slick. If you are going to polish new concrete you will use a tighter mix with smaller rocks, and dyes.
Epoxy flooring good, bad, ugly, this is where I might lose some of you, 90% of our work is this. We can make the wost concrete floor look great, but it has a cost, never will we use acid, diamond grind or shot blast is what we do. Acid wash a floor and it can cause problems with the coating blowing off later. There is a lot of cheap products on the market. Cheap stuff will never last or look right comparing to the better coatings. Knowledge is the other factor, how much material to put down, is the floor prepped correct. A coated floor will last a long time if it is installed correctly.

I will be happy to answer any question's you might have. Sorry about the length, but I am known as the garage doctor.

Would rather have a 10 car garage with one bath and bedroom.2011-06-08_16-10-56_744.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors