The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Garmin Catalyst Driving Performance Optimizer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
It hasn't been released yet, but when any of you get your hands on the new Garmin Catalyst, please do reply to this thread with a detailed review! 👍

For those who haven't seen it yet, the Catalyst is described by Garmin as an "industry-first 'coach' that mounts in your cockpit". It gathers performance data, giving real-time audible cues while you're on-track and offering immediate session analysis to show you key areas for improvement. Check your driving line, see where you can shave time.

garmin-catalyst-driving-performance-optimizer.jpggarmin-catalyst-driving-performance-optimizer-2.jpggarmin-catalyst-driving-performance-optimizer-3.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Very interesting. A bit spendy @ $999, but that does include a 1080p remote mount camera. I don’t see anything mentioned about OBDII connection for inputs from the vehicle - that would really make this a complete setup.

Few months agoni was talking about this. Howni hate gopro while aim is too expensive for the quality of the video.
A 1000$ with all in is incredible.
If obd is connected also,
This will destroy competition.
Live data analysis. (No easy with AIM but easy with Apex pro)
Obd connector? (All competitors has it. )
Laptime and predictable (aim yes. Apex is a 50$ a year)
Data video sync (aim smartycam)
Not a bad price ( smarty cam is 1700$)

In the V6L
I did a quick check.
I don't see data overlapping feaures
And not OBD II port connector.
If it is like this is useless. Unfortunately.
Yeah. I went through the documentation and it has that "walled garden" look to it, at least at this point. For what it is, it's good, but there are gaps. It looks like everything you do with it, including watching video, is done through the touch screen. User manual has no indication of how to access video if you want to overlay it or post it, and no offline PC data analysis. Bigger worry for me is around heat - mounting on the windshield puts it in the sun, and I've seen these gizmo's quit working if they get too hot after sitting in the sun over the lunch break.

TX
I did a quick check.
I don't see data overlapping feaures
And not OBD II port connector.
If it is like this is useless. Unfortunately.

This looks like a high end option for those doing HPDEs and more interested in recording their sessions and checking lap times than true data acquisition like with AIM. Hopefully it's more user friendly than anything made by AIM :p

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I have one and all I can say is don't get it. This way I will identify places where I can improve, apply the information easily, lower my lap times and jump ahead of all of you (well many) in the Lap Time thread. LOL Really, try and get together with someone who has one and see if they will let you share it for a session or two. It is easily set up in a second car (comes with an extra camera sticky mount) and you can have multiple car/driver profiles in the unit. My friend 2012-Boss and I shared my car at Charlotte and were able to cross check our laps against each other in real time at the track without downloading and analyzing data graphs. The unit also features live "coaching" guiding you with voice prompts to brake later, or get closer to the apex, also with positive feedback when you get it right. All of this coaching is based on YOUR best segment/corner performance, so basically you have already done good at least once and if you repeat it, you can get to your theoretical best lap, which is usually for me at least, .5-1.0 seconds better than my best actual lap. And as we all know, for most of us the cars are way better than our driving, so there is even more time to be gained in incremental steps as we become more comfortable with the limits. This unit will not be able to prevent you from overstepping the limit, but will learn that limit in a particular segment and coach you to get close but not cross that line again. I also have the Apex pro which also helps get you up to the limit, using LED visual cues only, Catalyst has visual(which I try to ignore, eyes looking up and ahead) but also the audio cues through a headset or bluetooth. For a Gen 1 product it is damn good, video is crisp and clear but the in app overlay has speed and time only, raw video you can pull off the card does not, this is not an AiM overlay/video combo so don't buy it for that. The 1080p video is crisp and clear though, so hopefully data integration and overlay can be incorporated in the future, the large display would be perfect as a race dash during the session, then switch to analysis display post session. All in all I say 4.5/5 stars after only one weekend and I didn't fully take advantage of all of the features as well as I could have. Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors