The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gary, here is the Conti's after this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pics are labeled LF, RF etc. how I used them, I did rotate the front and rears side to side only for the last two sessions.

I used the take-off tires like this - their LF when on my car's RR - RF went on my LR etc.

The fronts wore most on the insides and the rears wore the middles. This is banking and I am sure I will see a difference on the flat tracks.

LF1.png
LF2.png
LR1.png
LR2.png
RF1.png
RF2.png
RF3.png
RF4.png
RR1.png
RR2.png

What sizes are you guys running? Any tips on where to procure them? I think i have found two sources and am thinking of something in the 275 or 285 range, preferably 285 for the 10 inch rims I ordered.

bolecailey said:
What sizes are you guys running? Any tips on where to procure them? I think i have found two sources and am thinking of something in the 275 or 285 range, preferably 285 for the 10 inch rims I ordered.
I went with 285/645/18 and 305/650/18 on 18 x 9.5 and 18 x 10.5 wheels. Got them from the GT Track Days guys. They bought up a bunch of them from the Daytona 24 hour race. $100 each plus shipping which was $240 for 16 tires. They're in really good condition. Here's a pic:

20120314181932439.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2012-03-14

Link to GT Track Days guys:

http://www.gttrackdays.com/

Interestingly they're a little short next to the R888s. 305/35/18 & 275/35/18 same wheels:

20120318104642710.jpg

By cloud91965 at 2012-03-18

bolecailey said:
Thanks Gary, anyone to contact about buying tires or was it more of a local thing? These are really Continental branded Hoosiers correct?
Oh sorry, just click on that link and then email or call either Todd or Greg and they will set you up. They're near Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI but can ship anywhere. Yes Hoosier actually makes them.

What is the shelf life on car slicks? I know from my bike days that some tires can rot pretty quick once they have been cycled a few times if not stored at the right temp.

CaliMR said:
What is the shelf life on car slicks? I know from my bike days that some tires can rot pretty quick once they have been cycled a few times if not stored at the right temp.
Should be stored above 32F but since the race was in FL and it's been unseasonably warm up here (lows above freezing), shouldn't be an issue. These tires were just shipped by Hoosier for the race so they're fresh.

Half were for a friend's GT so I only have 8. Unfortunately they'll probably be gone by the end of May at the latest. The Boss isn'your E36. It's heavy and eats tires for breakfast ;D

With 888s or similar and going at a brisk pace, how many days do you think the tires would last on a square setup? I'm not going slicks yet, though I can probably get take offs from some friends.

CaliMR said:
With 888s or similar and going at a brisk pace, how many days do you think the tires would last on a square setup? I'm not going slicks yet, though I can probably get take offs from some friends.
I can't comment on the square setup since I only ran it for half a day on some mostly used R888s. On the staggered setup I was getting 3 days on Nitto 555RIIs driving like my hair was on fire. That was front and rear, cording the fronts but not quite the rears. IF I dropped the rear pressure a couple more pounds, there's 5 days to be had on them. I kept burning up the centers faster, dropping 2lbs each new set. On R6s getting 2 days on the fronts and 5 days on the rears. Typical days are four 25 or five to six 20 minute sessions. I have a brand new set of R888s that I just mounted a week ago to see how they do. I would get 4 (front) to 6 (rear) days on my GT500 with R888s and it weighed almost 500 lbs more than the Boss. It's the soft Boss suspension that eats the tires faster I think. Great weight transfer really helps the car bite and turn, but at a price.

I'm hoping I can get 2-3 days on the used slicks. If that's the case, it's WAY cheaper than new ones.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
I can't comment on the square setup since I only ran it for half a day on some mostly used R888s. On the staggered setup I was getting 3 days on Nitto 555RIIs driving like my hair was on fire. That was front and rear, cording the fronts but not quite the rears. IF I dropped the rear pressure a couple more pounds, there's 5 days to be had on them. I kept burning up the centers faster, dropping 2lbs each new set. On R6s getting 2 days on the fronts and 5 days on the rears. Typical days are four 25 or five to six 20 minute sessions. I have a brand new set of R888s that I just mounted a week ago to see how they do. I would get 4 (front) to 6 (rear) days on my GT500 with R888s and it weighed almost 500 lbs more than the Boss. It's the soft Boss suspension that eats the tires faster I think. Great weight transfer really helps the car bite and turn, but at a price.

I'm hoping I can get 2-3 days on the used slicks. If that's the case, it's WAY cheaper than new ones.

Gary--I have a set of used R888s in my garage that I got for free. They have a ton of tread left. What kind of pressures are you running on these? Typical 30f 29r or what? I have heard these tires get greasy fast on heavy cars...

ArizonaGT said:
cloud9 said:

Gary--I have a set of used R888s in my garage that I got for free. They have a ton of tread left. What kind of pressures are you running on these? Typical 30f 29r or what? I have heard these tires get greasy fast on heavy cars...
It's been a couple years so I'm a little fuzzy (not a logbook guy either) but I remember like 34/32 cold and 42 hot for the GT500, but it's way heavier than the Boss especially up front. I've heard the greasy comment and have experienced it, but I find that true for most track tires. After a few laps the tires start getting hot and don't grip as well. I personally didn't think the R888s were dramatically worse than others like a Nitto or even R6.

The one time I ran them on the Boss last April I don't even remember what pressures I used. That said, I was thinking of starting about what you suggested for the Boss 30F/28R or 30/29 (you know 220, 221 whatever it takes ;)) I'd like to land between 40-41 hot.

cloud9 said:
CaliMR said:

Thanks, that is very informative

I really don't use tire pressure numbers as goals or marks. I more simply go by how the tire looks. Most tires have a wear mark on the outside. Where ever that mark is is where you want your wear line to be at. I then pay attention to how the inside and middle of the tire is. I generally start around 32 lbs cold. On hot days and 34 on cold days. I quickly take pressure out.... Most of the time I will come in halfway through the first session to see how everything looks. After that I check at the end of each session immediately.

Gary, I talked to Greg and he is going to get me hooked up. One more question, I am toying with a square setup and was wondering if you thought the 305s would work on the front without rubbing. It will be on 18x10 +42 Forgestar F14 rims.

Thanks,

Cole

TMO Supporting Vendors