The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gas Can Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Has anyone recently bought gas cans that they like? Or really don't like and I should avoid?

I need a couple new ones and everything I find has some negative reviews about splitting or leaking.

ny
Have 2 sets of vp jugs. 1 set atleast 12yrs old cap still seals no cracks. Have caps w filler spout. Helps allot dumping gas in to cars tank no funnel needed.
My fr500c has dual dry break so that neck helps a ton on that car.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I dig the 5 gal VP jugs, and for about $30 ea, they're hard to beat. However, they don't meet certain regulatory portable standards, so for instance, if you're driving with them in your SUV cabin, you'll notice that they leak vapors. They do take a good beating though, I've been known to toss them around empty and they get hit by an occasional door or seat and whatnot. I can't be alone in my feelings because they tend to be the majority of what I see at the track.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
VP or else get a steel can, the other plastic ones are junk, for some stupid reason they can't figure out that fill neck needs a flat surface to get a decent seal for the spout.

ny
Paddyprix i for 1 would never transport full jugs of race gas inside my car. Ever.

Knew of a guy who transported oxy/acetylene tanks inside car let's say he's different now.alive but.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Paddyprix i for 1 would never transport full jugs of race gas inside my car. Ever.

Knew of a guy who transported oxy/acetylene tanks inside car let's say he's different now.alive but.
Yeah, I don't entirely enjoy it, and maybe it's just me, but I get a serious headache from sustained exposure to the vapors. On another forum, I help compile a list of nearest e85 stations to race tracks, so while some are a quick 5 minute trip, some are closer to an hour. I try to fill the trailered car up on the way to the track, and then do a fuel run to fill up my 4x 5g after the day's racing is done. I had thought ahead enough (very unlike me) to get a flex fuel Tahoe, so I can easily, happily, and moderately safely drive home, dumping whatever unused fuel into it, and tossing the empty jugs back in my POS s550.

I really like the VP jugs as well, (I'm sure somebody makes them for VP, so there are others out there.) we used to have round ones back in the day, and someone wised up. The squares take less room when you are trying to transport them. With regards to the safety aspects, I've seen a lot of things go south on this, you should never, ever transport fuel in a car, even if it's in the trunk, unless you are towing it, so it wouldn't matter. I don't even like carrying the 50 gallons of fuel in the back of my pickup, but it has to go someplace.
There are NFPA (National fire Protection Assoc.)certified jugs out there, but they are a PITA to try and use, while you're dorking around with all the "safety" features, which are pretty awkward, IMO, you are more likely to spill fuel than just pouring it out of a fuel jug. The reason the NFPA jugs are around is because if there is a flash fire and you drop the jug, the fuel is shut off when you release the handle.
In IMSA you have to have 2 people to fuel, one to actually do the fuel transfer and one to hold the extinguisher, and both are in fire suits with helmets. It doesn't matter if it's 2 quarts or 20 gallons.
So... most people just use the standard 5 gallon fuel jug, but I've seen a guy set his stock car on fire at a short track because there was no ground, it's the same old thing, I've done it a million times, until I set myself on fire. Go buy yourself a set of large alligator clips, you can find them at most auto parts stores, and get about 3ft of wire,( it doesn't take a welding cable), and everytime you fill up just clamp it on the jug and someplace on the car to kill off the static electricity, and NEVER fill up indoors like your garage, there are way too many ignition sources around (battery chargers, freezers, A/C units..etc).

ny
Blacksheep you are correct. I got a picture of my old racecar dean Gregson boss 302 at either Glen or st jovit. Hank Fournier I think fill it up gas pouring out the over flow in pass rear fender extension guy next to hank light cigarette in his hand. Both dressed in long pants short sleeve shirts.
Mined you this was 1970 so gas was at least 116 leaded.

Chris

These are the only cans I use....you can carry them inside your car and never smell fumes. The are actually rated to be transported inside airliners for emergency fuel transportation by NATO. If these things were to rupture inside your car due to a crash, you weren't going to survive the crash regardless. I transported an extra 5 gallons of gas in my Viper from Sacramento to Salt Lake City and back again in warm temps and never smelled anything. I use the 5 gallon size and usually take three of them to the track in my tow vehicle.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Now TrackAire, I am wondering why you carried 5 gals in your Viper when you went to the Viper Gathering in Salty Pond, You Taw?

I drove my ACR all the way home from there ( because my Motorsport's Director had trouble with his highly modified Snake and we ended up loading it in my trailer ) and I got 26.5 miles per gallon. Not sure why you needed to go commando to get home in Cali, ha?

Good chance we know each other , as the Viper Community is pretty small with only a bit over 33,000 ever built.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Thanks all, I'll get a couple VP cans.

Now TrackAire, I am wondering why you carried 5 gals in your Viper when you went to the Viper Gathering in Salty Pond, You Taw?

I drove my ACR all the way home from there ( because my Motorsport's Director had trouble with his highly modified Snake and we ended up loading it in my trailer ) and I got 26.5 miles per gallon. Not sure why you needed to go commando to get home in Cali, ha?

Good chance we know each other , as the Viper Community is pretty small with only a bit over 33,000 ever built.
Simple...I did drive my Viper and road tripped it out there with the NorCal Viper club. I think we had at least 15 cars in our caravan. The fuel wasn't specifically for me, it was just in case some of our other Viper brothers ran short. Some of the cars were older and I don't trust old fuel gauges or human judgment as people can have brain farts. As you know, there isn't a gas station on every corner when going from Reno to Winnemucca and then from Winnemucca to Salt Lake City. Having an extra five gallons meant the caravan wasn't stuck on the side of the road waiting for AAA or some road service to show up should someone have miscalculated their fuel usage. I don't leave anything to chance when I have to rely on others.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I get it and there is always someone in the group who thinks he has to drive his Viper in 4th gear at 80 mph , because his last car was a V Tech Honda and he thinks he has to keep the revs, up, ha. Come to think of it I had 10 gals in the race trailer and that was my safety valve following my buddy driving my truck/trailer hauling his sick Snake home to Nebraska. As typical it ended up being a simple electrical connection that was broken and took about a second to fix once on a lift. Your planning was spot on and I know we stopped early in Wyoming as I was amazed at the mileage I was getting and thought my fuel gauge was acting up.

I have a customer in Vacaville and close to 400+ Vipers sold in California over the years, any chance we know each other? Feel free to drop me a PM if you wish.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
....er, well, they are faster !!

Each machine is fun and I am partial to both. I sold somewhere close to 2000+ Vipers in my past working life, and since there is a giant Ford Store across the street from Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge , Jeep and Ram , I also sold a ton of performance Ford products. Heh, it was a family requirement since Henry Ford was my Grandfather's eighth cousin, ha.

TMO Supporting Vendors