The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gas Can Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Simple...I did drive my Viper and road tripped it out there with the NorCal Viper club. I think we had at least 15 cars in our caravan. The fuel wasn't specifically for me, it was just in case some of our other Viper brothers ran short. Some of the cars were older and I don't trust old fuel gauges or human judgment as people can have brain farts. As you know, there isn't a gas station on every corner when going from Reno to Winnemucca and then from Winnemucca to Salt Lake City. Having an extra five gallons meant the caravan wasn't stuck on the side of the road waiting for AAA or some road service to show up should someone have miscalculated their fuel usage. I don't leave anything to chance when I have to rely on others.
I had similar experience back in my snowmobile days. I rode a 1975 Yamaha 433 GPX. Notorious gas guzzler. I carried 2 one gallon gas cans with me just in case. Ironically I never once used the gas in my sled but bailed out several friends many times. My sled at least had a sight tube to give you an idea on the fuel level. most had no gas gauge, no speedo or odometer, peer in the fill hole with a flashlight or rock the sled to see the gas sloshing. I estimated that sled got about 6 miles per gallon but it was sure fun. Drifting before we knew what drifting was. The engine was a free air so the colder it was the better it ran. Anything below zero was wonderful.

I have a ton of brand new VP caps available should anybody need some for cheap....just PM me. I found that the VP caps worked on just about every brand fuel jug and sealed the best because of the o-ring seal. The key was the cap, not the jug.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
These are the only cans I use....you can carry them inside your car and never smell fumes. The are actually rated to be transported inside airliners for emergency fuel transportation by NATO. If these things were to rupture inside your car due to a crash, you weren't going to survive the crash regardless. I transported an extra 5 gallons of gas in my Viper from Sacramento to Salt Lake City and back again in warm temps and never smelled anything. I use the 5 gallon size and usually take three of them to the track in my tow vehicle.

I use these as well and have the two carriers mounted in the bed on my F150 to keep them secure. I just don't trust the plastic jugs. It only took one tyme when the jug split at the seam (Yep, a VP container) and well, you can imagine what the bed of my truck smelled like. Now I'm sure this is not normal but I switched to the Varian metal cans cause if it good enough for NATO, it's good enough for me.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel