The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gas Mileage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have to say i will never check my mileage when the gage goes to E i know it needs more gas I bought it to have fun with not to see what kind of mileage

98RedGT

2012 #552
drifter3253 said:
I have to say i will never check my mileage when the gage goes to E i know it needs more gas I bought it to have fun with not to see what kind of mileage

+1

ChuckP said:
On the highway I get 24 to 25 MPG. Around town about 14. On the track, about 7 or 8.

Sounds like your track gas mileage is the same mileage I am getting taking my kids to school. :(. 9 MPG city is not good even at 500 hp IMO. I got a feeling something must be wrong. I think I will take it to the dealer after the break in period is done to let them have a look.

Dallas_Dude said:
ChuckP said:
On the highway I get 24 to 25 MPG. Around town about 14. On the track, about 7 or 8.

Sounds like your track gas mileage is the same mileage I am getting taking my kids to school. :(. 9 MPG city is not good even at 500 hp IMO. I got a feeling something must be wrong. I think I will take it to the dealer after the break in period is done to let them have a look.

Thie highway and town mileage are pretty close. I tend to drive pretty "gently" most of the time when I'm not on the track since a Comp Orange Boss tends to be a "cop magnet". Track mileage may actually be less since I always forget to reset the display for a track measurement. It may actually be closer to 5 MPG on the track. When my Boss only had about 400 miles on it I took it on a 600 mile road trip. Averaged 24.5.

Got my BOSS about a week & a half ago. Almost 700 miles on the BOSS now. No highway trips, just cruisin around city & rural roads...averaging 11/12 mpg & I sure ain't drivin like no angel...no offense Lord. I'm sure if I baby it I could get 14/15, but those days are over....Just for a comparison, I drove my 2001 Crown Vic 4.6 V8 for 10 yrs & NEVER got over 16.3 MPG around town. So just drive & enjoy boys........

2012YellowBoss said:
JScheier said:
According to the computer, I got 4 mpg at the last track weekend. About 2 mpg less than my E36 M3 got.

Dam, that is drivin hard, my best is 5.6 last session after Miller.
Since we are all mostly driving different tracks can't really use lap times for bragging rights. However, I see now whoever gets the WORST track mileage must be driving the hardest!! I'm shooting for 3.5 at my next event...

At my last track event the low fuel light came on during my last run session. Pumps at the track were closed down for the day so I had to head into town. Cut it a bit close:
100_4205.png

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ChuckP said:
At my last track event the low fuel light came on during my last run session. Pumps at the track were closed down for the day so I had to head into town. Cut it a bit close:

I had the same thing happen at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. 13 miles from the track to the nearest pump... I coasted the last 1/4 mile ;) That fuel remaining calc is a tad optimistic ;)

3500 miles at this point. More in-town driving overall than highway. Average has been 16.1 mpg for about the last 1K miles or so.

GA
JScheier said:
ChuckP said:

I had the same thing happen at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. 13 miles from the track to the nearest pump... I coasted the last 1/4 mile ;) That fuel remaining calc is a tad optimistic ;)

I was at Roebling Road Raceway near Savannah, GA on Friday. The nearest gas station was a few miles from the track, but to get in and out of the track you actually have to cross the front straight of the track, so you can only get in and out between sessions (freaked me out!), so I opted not to fill up at lunch. There were 7 sessions, and I had to opt out of the last one since I was not sure I would make it to the end or to the gas station afterward.

JScheier said:
ChuckP said:

I was at High Plains in August but unfortunately not to drive. I was running timing and scoring for a Porsche Club race. However, I was able to take some "touring" laps at lunchtime in a borrowed Cayman S. Looks like a fun track...pretty technical...would love to drive it at speed.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
ChuckP said:
I was at High Plains in August but unfortunately not to drive. I was running timing and scoring for a Porsche Club race. However, I was able to take some "touring" laps at lunchtime in a borrowed Cayman S. Looks like a fun track...pretty technical...would love to drive it at speed.

Come visit! Trying to get Gary (Cloud9) out in 2012. I'm exactly 1 hour from the track and have no issues storing at least one more car and driver ;)

I know a lot of the local PCA guys. Good group of drivers to run with!

LateApex said:
Never seen more than 12.4 mpg no matter what I do hehe...

I've never seen worse than 14 except on track. Right now my current average MPG is reading 20.5 which is about 80% highway and 20% in town with lights and stop & go etc.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Am getting about 20 mpg going back and forth to work, but that is virtually all highway. Driving the back roads , yesterday , got right at 22 mpg with some squirts up to 80-90mph. Sure the mileage will drop when romping on it , but can't really complain. Would not be surprised to see 25-26 on the highway at 70-75mph, but for the performance I am definitely not unhappy and it is more than acceptable. Pretty sure I will be seeing 7mpg on the track, but what the heck, my other track car barely gets 5mpg.

I must be doing something wrong. ;D The absolute best I've ever seen is 16.5 and I'm usually around 13.5 with the black key, 12.5 with the red one and 7.5 on the track. That said, I don't do any sustained highway driving since the Boss is generally riding in a trailer on the highway.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
I must be doing something wrong. ;D The absolute best I've ever seen is 16.5 and I'm usually around 13.5 with the black key, 12.5 with the red one and 7.5 on the track. That said, I don't do any sustained highway driving since the Boss is generally riding in a trailer on the highway.

Have you ever actually had that puppy in 6'th gear at all ?? ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel