The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gas Mileage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know I will probably get lampooned just for asking, but has anyone calculated their gas mileage in the Boss? I am at the 160 mile mark (engine is still tight I'm sure). I calculated 11.8 miles to the gallon on my first tank. That was pretty much with all my driving in "spirited" mode. Still I expected a bit better. My Lightning gets 12 mpg, and it weighs about 1000 pounds more with similar HP.

I'm not much better, i'm getting about 13.5 MPG. But it should get better for all of us once we get more miles on it (if we can keep our foot out of it) Not gonna happen. ;D

I've only gotten one tank that broke the 15 mpg mark and that was a 200+ mile trip to Lake Tahoe with my family in the car. I got 21.6 mpg driving about 80 mph most of the way and included some traffic. I think 26 mpg is achievable if you drive on the fwy under 70 mph and refrain from WOT runs. But of course that would be no fun. ;D

Only on cruise control and completely surrounded by the highway patrol...

I've seen 28 at 60mph on flat ground. I can eek out 22 combined on the way to work which is 99% highway, and my avg per tank is about 18.

At 2700 miles, 16.5 city(keeping around 2000 RPM mostly & skipshift)and 25 highway at 60 mph on flats.

MrGT5oh said:
It sounds like ya'll have a lot more self control then I do. I better get used to around 15 MPG.

Any chance Ford will give us a gas card for christmas....lol
I wish...but will we get TracKey for Christmas? That is the question!

Hello Fellows

I drove from Socal to Salt Lake City and back to Socal. I got 26 MPG. This was done driving 70 to 75 MPH in 6th gear.

GA
I have been getting around 15 MPG around town in my 2012 5.0 after filling with 93 octane. I have had to go into 5th gear at 40-50 MPH and then 6th 50 MPH+ to get decent gas mileage. I haven't taken a highway trip yet. This is about the same mileage I got in the '08 Bullitt.

On real gas I saw 28mpg at 68mph, flat ground, temp 75. On 90% gas I have seen 25mpg at 73, on flat ground temp 95. Those are my only two data points when I had remembered to reset the meter, car has 6500 miles on it.

I don't lay claim to this quote, but as far as gas mileage with the BOSS is concerned....." It's not the miles per gallon,it's the smiles per gallon that count". Hopefully, I'll be finding that out for myself before the end of the month.

302BOB said:
I don't lay claim to this quote, but as far as gas mileage with the BOSS is concerned....." It's not the miles per gallon,it's the smiles per gallon that count". Hopefully, I'll be finding that out for myself before the end of the month.
That's the truth. It's about the driving experience. If i was a really concerned about fuel mileage, I'd buy a rolling coffin (Prius). My S2000 only got 21 when I used the cruise. It was a 4-banger with an attitude.

TMO Supporting Vendors