The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gauge Pod Orientation

Which way should I install the gauge pod in my Boss?

• Straight

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Angled

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally all of my gauges have arrived along with the gauge pod. Now I have to decide which way to orient the pod.

First we have the traditional straight approach which is how the gauges are installed in the LS. This looks clean inside and outside, but the left side of the gauges may be hard to read for some drivers.

PodStraightInside.png
PodStraightOutside.png

Second, I could angle the gauges towards the driver (me) for better visibility and less time with the eyes off the road/track. This is more functional and matches what I have had on previous cars, but may not look as clean.

PodAngledInside.png
PodAngledOutside.png

So what do you guys think? Besides the aesthetics, are there any functional issues to worry about regarding straight vs. angled?

Thanks for the input.

I'd go with the straight mount. I'm curious though why you bought the gauge cluster when you have the track apps already built into your 13.

drano38

Wayne
Function more important on track than looks.
That being said, you'll most likely quickly learn to read where the needles point when "normal", w/out actually reading the numbers.
But on track, fast glances are all we have time for. So if angled is more functional, make it angled.

Bossy1908 said:
I'd go with the straight mount. I'm curious though why you bought the gauge cluster when you have the track apps already built into your 13.

With regards to gauges, the track apps are no better than the idiot gauges most cars have. They just have colors and no numbers. I prefer to have actual numbers, especially for oil temp and water temp. Also, the track apps are not as readily accessible as 3 critical gauges staring you in the face. And maybe I'm just a little bit too old school for this fancy technology stuff. :)

I installed my pod at a slight angle. The top of the pods sunshade matches the angle of the top of the drivers side dash. The only thing you have to make sure you do when installing is to keep the center hole of the pod bracket centered as the wiring has to go thru the opening between the AC ducts in the top of the dash. I used Speedhut gauges. The have a programable red led warning light that will go off at a set temp or pressure. And the led's are bright! Won't miss them while at speed. Installing sending units today.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I would go for the angled I think it looks better and is easier to read. and I agree with you about having an actual gauge vs an LCD screen. Having a needle to glance at is much easier than taking your eyes down read a number then god forbid scroll through an endless menu to go to the next one.

How about install the pod on some kind of bracket that can swivel. That way when driving around town and parked you can keep it straight and when at track you can turn it so you can read it better.

Egan said:
Bossy1908 said:

With regards to gauges, the track apps are no better than the idiot gauges most cars have. They just have colors and no numbers. I prefer to have actual numbers, especially for oil temp and water temp. Also, the track apps are not as readily accessible as 3 critical gauges staring you in the face. And maybe I'm just a little bit too old school for this fancy technology stuff. :)

Feel free to send me your instrument cluster, and I'll be sure to send you mine ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors