The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gear Whine Warranty?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I dropped my car off at the dealer today. I just can't take the whine anymore. We are taking a vacation for a week so I figured it was a good time to drop it off. I told the tech to drive it home so he can experience the whine. My ears ring after an hour in the car. I really hope Ford replaces the gears under warranty. If they don't I'm going to buy new gears and pay to have them installed. I even suggested they install 3:90's just in case the 3:73's have an inherent problem. I'm sure that the UCA location helps resonate sound as well.

I doubt it is the gears, someone will probably jump in and say that they can be adjusted to make no noise. I say it probably isn't the gears because I hear the same exact sound in a car with a Ford true trac with 3.23's and a quad link, I feel like it is just something that comes with a performance oriented car.

If installed properly, as in correct pinion depth and backlash, they should be quiet in most cases. I did install an aftermarket brand (I think pro 5.0?) of 3.90 gears in an 8.8 that I could never get quiet. I have installed Ford Racing's 3.73 and 4.10's and all have been quiet. My Boss has a small amount of decal whine which I probably would not even hear if I had the factory rear suspension in it.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I've always had gear whine from mine, but now since I removed the cats and everything in the back except the roll bar all I hear is the roar of the Boss!

Asked my dealer about this, when I went in for the cel, and they told me they needed to contact engineering. I thought that was odd, but they called me a couple of days ago, telling me they have an e-mail stating the Boss axles are set up differently and will make noise. That reminds me, l did not get a copy of said e-mail. Will call them in the am. Anyone here have access to factory service manuals and can confirm this?

TMO Supporting Vendors