The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen 1 Timing Cover Bolt Positions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone tell me where the two timing cover bolts with the threaded studs on the end are positioned? There are 19 different bolts. I see two smaller studded bolts come up into the oil pan from below but there are two large bolts that obviously go through the front. I'm not seeing anything clear on YouTube or the picture in the Ford assembly manual.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Can anyone tell me where the two timing cover bolts with the threaded studs on the end are positioned? There are 19 different bolts. I see two smaller studded bolts come up into the oil pan from below but there are two large bolts that obviously go through the front. I'm not seeing anything clear on YouTube or the picture in the Ford assembly manual.
I took this picture during disassembly - hopefully you can zoom in for reference. If I remember correctly, there’s a couple with larger size heads as well.

CA45C831-0518-4D3F-A376-07C391763586.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
And here’s the front 4 of the oil pan if needed;

EBB5C5A0-139B-4849-B9E6-E848676BF92C.jpeg

I took this picture during disassembly - hopefully you can zoom in for reference. If I remember correctly, there’s a couple with larger size heads as well.

View attachment 84093
I am seeing two bolts with a threaded stud at the top inside right and top outside left then a larger stud right below the one top left. I have two large bolts but not those smaller top bolts. Weird. I saved everything in a bag when I took it off.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I am seeing two bolts with a threaded stud at the top inside right and top outside left then a larger stud right below the one top left. I have two large bolts but not those smaller top bolts. Weird. I saved everything in a bag when I took it off.
That larger one is part of the alternator hardware - I just threaded it back in to keep track of where it went.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel