The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen 2 aluminator/coyote block: which headgasket for g1 Boss 302 cylinder head?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I'm going to call Ford Performance shortly, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience here.

The new gen2 stuff uses a headgasket with an unrestricted oil passage hole on the leading edge to the head due to the new mid-lock phasers. The old headgaskets used a slightly restricted one.

The compatibility PDF talks about it from the heads perspective (matching the gasket to the head), but they don't talk about swapping blocks or applicability there. (the PDF in question): https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/FPP_Gen_2_Coyote_Technical_Reference_2-16.pdf Page 4.

Anyone have practical knowledge of which headgasket is correct for a G2 block with G1 heads?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Re: Gen 2 aluminaotr/coyote block: which headgasket for g1 Boss 302 cylinder head?

I wonder what if any effect running the older cams/phasers on the newer block/head combo will have? Don't plan on changing head gaskets when I put Gen 2 longblock with CJ cams in the BAUS.
Steve

Re: Gen 2 aluminaotr/coyote block: which headgasket for g1 Boss 302 cylinder head?

Cap,
I have someone at Ford Performance confirming which head gasket to be used with G1 Heads on a G2 block. The other thing to consider is the oil filter location. The filter boss is cast differently on the G2 blocks to accommodate fitment in a S550 chassis. You should be good if you use a 2015-2017 5.0L COYOTE OIL LINE ADAPTOR to remotely locate an oil filter. The rest should be plug and play.

I'll post as soon as I hear back from Ford......

BT

captdistraction said:
Thankfully, the shortblock includes the revised adapter, but does it not clear the S197 chassis?

G2 Aluminator short block with Boss heads (are you buying Steve's?) and M-6067-M50BR11 head gaskets and bolts will work for an S197 application. For the oil filter mount M-6880-M501 is what I was told you should use. For your application (and in my opinion), I would go with the M-6881-M50A so that you can easily tie in a remote filter and cooler.

FWIW, I would use new Boss cylinder heads vs. rebuilding to make sure you remove all variables. This should be on stout/durable set up.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az

yeah, mine in detail is this:

M-6009-M50AA NA Aluminator shortblock (includes M-6880-M501 which I hope clears the chassis ok, looks like it will)
NOS Boss 302R heads/cams (thanks @voodoo child21 !)
CJ intake setup / longtubes
Moroso oil pan.

I'm toying with the remote mount, but I honestly really just want this design all as simple as possible. My last oiling loop was super simple, factory mount, boss cooler, sandwhich plate, no more than 7' of -10AN with a Setrab 915 in the middle.

TMO Supporting Vendors