The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen 2 vs gen 3 coyote - Which is best?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know that simpler is usually better, but I also like really cool things such as direct and port injection.
The things I would be changing are L&M intake cams, boundary black oil pump gears, high flow backing plate, crank timing sprocket, 88mm ported throttle body, and boss 302 timing chain tensioner.
What would you all recommend? I can get the gen 3 block cheaper going the F150 route and swapping things over, it's also the most similar to the mustang block. I'm also toying with the idea of getting the L&M exhaust cams too.

Good question I should have elaborated on earlier. I plan to run the car in ST2 or ST3. The engine would be going into a new edge, so I would most likely end up in ST2.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Still looking for input, even info on gen 2/gen 3 problems.
Here is an anecdotal observation....(for entertainment purposes only)
Gen 3 makes 25 more Horse power than the Gen 2.
When I swapped my s197 I had the opportunity to choose as well so I asked JDM Engineering (builder of my killer stroker 3 valve and highly respected engine builders/Drag Racers) and they said they had seen some problems with the new cylinder liners (at the time the gen 3 was still brand new) plus a control pack was not yet available for the gen 3. Not sure if it is now or not. Also if you do a gen 3 with a Cobra Jet or Boss 302 manifold you will need to address the direct injection ports in the heads. Not sure what all that entails but it was enough for me to choose the gen 2 and I'm very happy with how that's worked out.

I have a new edge race car that is for sale . Im local to you as well in Mesa. Already caged, fire system, double adjustable Koni/ Griggs racing coil overs, alcon brakes, maximum motorsports rear, SLA front suspension. It will take this motor. Bolts right in. PM me if interested.

I know that simpler is usually better, but I also like really cool things such as direct and port injection.
The things I would be changing are L&M intake cams, boundary black oil pump gears, high flow backing plate, crank timing sprocket, 88mm ported throttle body, and boss 302 timing chain tensioner.
What would you all recommend? I can get the gen 3 block cheaper going the F150 route and swapping things over, it's also the most similar to the mustang block. I'm also toying with the idea of getting the L&M exhaust cams too.
Assuming only using a Gen3 block (or short block):
-Strength wise the Gen3 block is probably slightly better as it has longer 12mm head bolts vs the Gen2 11mm but has a more open deck.
-Everything from a Gen2 engine will transfer over to the gen3 block except pistons and head bolts and head gasket due to wider bores.

Using a complete gen3 engine:
-Gen3 control pack is available.

Last edited:
Progress can only be measured by its latest progress.....isn't that an irony????????????......where are my Boss keys???????????............lame is where you find it darling...happy hunting..............................back to regular programming...this nut is reshelled..................til a nutcracker can be available;e.....................

Here is an anecdotal observation....(for entertainment purposes only)
Gen 3 makes 25 more Horse power than the Gen 2.
When I swapped my s197 I had the opportunity to choose as well so I asked JDM Engineering (builder of my killer stroker 3 valve and highly respected engine builders/Drag Racers) and they said they had seen some problems with the new cylinder liners (at the time the gen 3 was still brand new) plus a control pack was not yet available for the gen 3. Not sure if it is now or not. Also if you do a gen 3 with a Cobra Jet or Boss 302 manifold you will need to address the direct injection ports in the heads. Not sure what all that entails but it was enough for me to choose the gen 2 and I'm very happy with how that's worked out.
This is helpful, thank you! What made me ask the original question is I saw on other forums people discussing the issue you're talking about, but saying that the gen 1 and gen 2 had comparable issues of their own. Basically, you're going to run into something no matter which gen you choose.

What I like about the gen 3 is you can rev to 7500 right out of the box, it has taken upgrades from both the boss and gt350, and seems overall better, but then again, there's the cylinder liner issue. Btw, there is a gen 3 control pack out now.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is helpful, thank you! What made me ask the original question is I saw on other forums people discussing the issue you're talking about, but saying that the gen 1 and gen 2 had comparable issues of their own. Basically, you're going to run into something no matter which gen you choose.

What I like about the gen 3 is you can rev to 7500 right out of the box, it has taken upgrades from both the boss and gt350, and seems overall better, but then again, there's the cylinder liner issue. Btw, there is a gen 3 control pack out now.
The limiting factor is the intake. Gen 2 intake falls off hard at 6500 rpm while the gen 3 or GT350 intake goes much higher. If you are doing a boss 302 or Cobra jet intake it doesn't matter, either will make power over 7500 rpm. The only question is, how long will it live? The innards are basically the same between the 2.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Those videos were helpful. So far, from what I'm seeing, gen 3 is the way to go for me. I won't be using any boost, I'm happy to run an ethanol blend if it needs to run cooler, and if something happens, the f150's are basically the same internally, just need to change the cams, cam phasers, and oil pump, then throw on my own stuff.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here’s an interesting article. Watson racing is building 5.2L race motors now. Interestingly they chose to sleeve them. Hmmm.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Those videos were helpful. So far, from what I'm seeing, gen 3 is the way to go for me. I won't be using any boost, I'm happy to run an ethanol blend if it needs to run cooler, and if something happens, the f150's are basically the same internally, just need to change the cams, cam phasers, and oil pump, then throw on my own stuff.
F-150 has less 1 point less compression and a crappy intake manifold. What manifold are you planning to use?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Not with the gen 3, they're both 12:1 w/ direct injection. I would most likely go with a ported 2018 mustang manifold
I'll have to check that out....I know the gen 2 Coyote F150 is a point lower than the GT.
Somewhere I have a cheat sheet with all this stuff on it...

TMO Supporting Vendors