The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

General brake pad question ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've seen ads for various race pads that say, "Not recommended for street use due to heavy dusting and noise." I've been driving my car more lately and I have to ask, do these race pads really dust more than the stock pads??

What's a good pad upgrade for stock Pirellis and 90% street driven??

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Yes. Race pads are designed to work at higher operating temperatures than street pads. So, when driving on the street, the pads and rotors are relatively cold. This results in more pad loss (dusting) and increased rotor wear. Really a lose/lose situation, not to mention that stopping distance can be increased with track pads on the street since they are operating far below their intended operating temperatures.

Seriously though, the front pads are a 15 minute change with the Brembo calipers.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
JScheier said:
Yes. Race pads are designed to work at higher operating temperatures than street pads. So, when driving on the street, the pads and rotors are relatively cold. This results in more pad loss (dusting) and increased rotor wear. Really a lose/lose situation, not to mention that stopping distance can be increased with track pads on the street since they are operating far below their intended operating temperatures.

Seriously though, the front pads are a 15 minute change with the Brembo calipers.

In general for most pads I fully agree - however some endurance race pads fare much better on the street than others, performance at low temperature wise as well as the amount of dust they create. The Pagid RS-29 is one such pad. Even at street temps they still strongly outperform the stock Boss pads, tend not to be noisy (if at all), and still wear well. And as with all the Pagid line they are not nasty on your rotors.

-Pete

I agree with the above statements as well, but I still ended up driving my XP12/10s on the streets with not major problems, even around freezing temps. But I'm lazy and carrying my tools outside to replace pads is a hassle I'll try to avoid lol.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Agree , I have the Carbo Tech 12s and 10s as well and they do great on the track and on the street. When not up to temp however the due squeak on the street but stop great. My rotors look good after a season at the track and driving around a little on the street. Not a DD.
I think the Carbo Techs are the way to go. I ran PF01s on past cars and on track awesome but lots of dust and lots of rotor wear. If you are using the Boss as a DD not sure as I only put 2,000 miles or so on a year.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel