The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

General Engine cooling question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I don't know much about FI mustangs, but we do have the GT500 that came 600ish from factory.
I think people may go aftermarket radiator, GT500 fans, along with intercooler for the SC and oil coolers. But hopefully someone with first hand experience will chime in!

The amount of cooling needed depends on a lot of variables. What type of forced induction do you want to do, and what kind of driving? I'm assuming you'll be taking it out on the track so the types of FI that work best would be a Centri blower and even a turbo (with blanket and wrapped). A PD blower will create much more heat than the other two options evens with an intercooler and/or heat exchanger.

There are plenty of different cooling options out there for FI, but what has worked the best for me is installing a 6 gallon ice tank in the trunk and routing it with the heat exchanger and intercooler. Also removing the factory weatherstripping on the underside of the hood up by the wiper cowl is a free mod that drops under hood temps by about 10*. Now, this was on our GT500 that makes about 700 whp and primarily is drag raced (1/4 and 1/2 mile) but I've done about 6 sessions with it and it did great. On the road course the ice in the tank is pretty much gone by the end of the first lap, but at least there is more volume to the system. And it only takes 3 minutes to completely drain it and refill for the next session so you don't have to worry about trying to cool all that water back down.

Are you having cooling issues now? Also do you have a 302S style grille? Opening up the grille is the single biggest mod to improve cooling on a Boss. In most cases the stock radiator is sufficient.

VoodooBOSS said:
Are you having cooling issues now? Also do you have a 302S style grille? Opening up the grille is the single biggest mod to improve cooling on a Boss. In most cases the stock radiator is sufficient.

No I don't think so, I need to install a coolant temp gauge. Yes I do have the 302S grille. Here in Houston ambient temps get close to 100* so if needed I would like to err on the side of caution.....

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
One change several of us made regarding cooling was to add a CJ grill. There are the grills Ford installed on the Boss Track Attack cars. The frame is painted white from the factory. I ran the 302S grill for a while and swapped to the CJ and did notice cooler temps on track and on the road.

The CJ grill is no longer available from Ford but they do pop up occasionally for sale online.

Like Rick said, Air Flow is critical to cooling our beasts.

To answer your first question, Yes there are good after market radiators. I am sure someone here can recommend a few. Regardless which Radiator, Airflow through the grill area is critical and in the 2012 model year this is most critical. I suspect the grill on the 2013 "Grew" because of the cooling issues on the 2012.

TMO Supporting Vendors