The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

General harness safety question???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First, if this is the wrong place to post this, feel free to move it.

I have heard chatter on the internet about using a Schroth QuickFit harness. Some have said that this harness or any harness is pointless without an aftermarket seat and roll bar at minimum.

I am not doubting this point. In my opinion the QuickFit is a go between the factory 3 point and a wrap around 5 point harness.

My issue, I still have to put my family in the car. A roll bar is out.

Are the harness bars a viable alternative if I get a real seat and harness??

Thanks.....

Big Black

Good, fast<del>, and cheap</del>
I would say yes, for sure...I had 07 GT seats (not as good as yours) and went to a harness bar, a basic recaro and a 4 point and it made a huge difference. The harness bar took about 1/2 hour to install, so it can go in and out without too much ruckus.

FYI, when I first got into tracking my car, I asked my instructor what my first mod should be. She said seat, bar and harness. And now tonight I cracked my Christmas gift Bentley's book "Ultimate Speed Secrets", and he devotes the entire first chapter to seats.

Big Black

That's kind of why I'm asking, I also got that book for Christmas.....:)

LOL...Bentley got me thinking about modifying (get rid of a small pinch at the hips) and lowering it, maybe thinning out the foam. He's really right. You have eyes, hands and feet to control the car, but you have pretty much just your butt for feedback from it.

Big Black

Actually I'm kind of interested in the safety aspect of a harness bar in the event of an accident.....
I would expect pretty minimal, certainly you never see that as a selling point in any of the ad copy for these, and I've heard talk at the track that in the event of a rollover, you are strapped in tight WITHOUT a hoop. Yikes, but it would be kinda the same with the stock setup anyway, I guess.

I run a Schroth ASM to hold me in place; not for safety. Argument is if roll-over, a 3-point OEM belt is designed to allow your stock seat to fold so your head isn't the highest point during the roll.

I looked into harness bars and decided against it.

I'd suggest a neck restraint. Got one after 3 years doing track stuff....cant believe I waited that long.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel