The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

General Pirelli question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most tires start with about 6-8/32nds of tread and for race conditions get shaved down to 4/32nds . So assuming you still have wear bars, you should be good for a little while yet.
Here's an article that might help..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=67

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Until the tread is below the wear bars. No real limit to how long they will last, street tires don't heat cycle out as much ar R compound tires, they will get a little faster as tread wears down and gets more stable then will slowly slow down as wear passes 2/3rds If you have tread you can run them, they just aren't quick. I ran about 1500 track miles on my PZeros and still have the rear tires mounted for street use. A set of Continental Slicks gives me about 8 sessions (250 miles) of good lap time and another 6 sessions of fair times until they cord. Contis are about 2 seconds a lap quicker that Michelin Pilot Super Sports for me. It all a trade off, once you try R compound or Race slicks you won't want to run street tires, getting point bys is more addictive then giving them.
Steve

I ran my P-zero's down until secondary rubber was showing on the outer edges. The more they wore down the more traction they had on the track. I did not get many miles on them as most of the miles were track miles.

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
Secondary rubber on edge. Do you have any pictures? Mine wear out much sooner on edges, but I'm not exactly what to look for.

No pictures but secondary rubber can be seen as the color of the rubber changes. Just under the secondary rubber is the cords. I run 2.7 degrees of negative camber also, which will help the outer tire edge wear.

TMO Supporting Vendors