The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Getting a transmission to line-up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been changing my clutch today and I'm stuck trying to get the transmission to go back in. I have a 2015 Mustang GT, installing the Exedy Mach 600 single disc clutch. The plastic alignment tool slides in easily but I can only get the bell housing to within a 1/4 inch of seating. I loosely threaded the two bottom bolts in to help with the alignment but I haven't cranked down on them. I was taught never to try to draw the transmission in using them. I cleaned the dowels and their holes with 1000 grit sandpaper and used a little of the leftover ARP lube to lubricate them. I have a little lube on the tip of the input shaft but didn't put anything on the splines.
By this point, my arms and shoulders are aching from pulling, pushing and lifting for the last three hours. Any suggestions on getting this thing to go back in?

Last edited:
When doing clutches before I found those plastic alignment tools to be pretty loose, I always put a little up pressure on the tool and then tightened the pressure plate bolts. This has worked for me as they would sag and clamp the clutch plate too low otherwise. That may or may not help but just a thought.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
AdmirC is spot on.
The best alignment tool is a input shaft.
The weight of the clutch will pull the plate low and cause you issues. Site through the clutch to see if all is aligned before trying again. Although everything should be aligned if you are within 1/4".

One old trick is to get the bolts to the point where you have them then step on the clutch pedal to float the disc a little. I also agree with the above suggestion, as I always do that. Finally, making angry orangutan noises will always help a little bit.

Thanks for the advice. I loosened the pressure plate bolts, recentered the plate while really pushing in on that plastic alignment tool then tightened everything back-up. Transmission went right in. I made some angry orangutan noises in celebration. Thanks everyone.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I remember those orangutan noises from clutch jobs on class 8 conventionals and trying to shove an 800 pound transmission into a twin disk clutch, and no hoist either, just yourself, a creeper and your tranny jack. Learned the value of a brand new input shaft for aligning the disks and getting the trans jack angle set to match the engine. One shove with your foot and that trans would glide right on home. I went from hating clutch jobs to loving them, except for Brinks armored trucks.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
My experiences with Tractor Trailers was limited, thankfully, to cab over rigs. A good chain hoist or forklift was all we had. That's were I learned that an input shaft was the only way to align a dual disc clutch. I have never seen an input shaft leave a shop in a scrap bin. You always cut the shaft at the input bearing and welded a loop on them to hang on the wall and to hold onto while using. The plastic shafts supplied with clutch kits look OK but can cause issues if you are not careful
BTW I have never met an orangutan who has the ability to create Special Words I find so necessary when working. LOL.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
My experiences with Tractor Trailers was limited, thankfully, to cab over rigs. A good chain hoist or forklift was all we had. That's were I learned that an input shaft was the only way to align a dual disc clutch. I have never seen an input shaft leave a shop in a scrap bin. You always cut the shaft at the input bearing and welded a loop on them to hang on the wall and to hold onto while using. The plastic shafts supplied with clutch kits look OK but can cause issues if you are not careful
BTW I have never met an orangutan who has the ability to create Special Words I find so necessary when working. LOL.
I agree a cabover clutch job was usually pretty nice, the Kenworth Anteaters were among the worst, a hoist would have made it easier but the damn belly band crossmember under the front of the transmission really made those memorable. Thankfully I never had to do a clutch job on a plow truck. Fertilizer trucks and plow trucks, worst rusted corroded stuff I ever dealt with.

I recently helped my dad stab the transmission into his '35 Ford Phaeton. Easiest one ever. Not only does the trans only weigh about 25 lbs, but with the floor boards out and the inspection plate off the bellhousing, you can actually see the splines line up with the clutch disk. No orangutan noises required.

TMO Supporting Vendors