The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Getting Closer to New 18" Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
I've got a hunch that NASCAR will be going to a wider setup in addition to the increase in wheel diameter, potentially a 305 I believe. We wont get to see them until the gen 7 rolls out most likely but I think you'll see a major wheel brand such as BBS or my personal hope CCW come in and run a multi-spoke design.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
It looks like a Mustang on 22s in comparison with the previous size. Don't get me wrong, I love that they're doing it, it's just a pretty significant size difference so it almost looks comical.

In the V6L
A couple of thoughts - first, particularly in F1, the tire change is going to really change the suspension dynamics. Currently the tire is the biggest and most compliant spring in the whole system, and the rest of the suspension is designed around it. The new tires will inherently be stiffer with less available flex, so the suspension will have to be redesigned to accommodate it.

Second, the last time that F1 allowed teams to use significant ground effects to hold the cars down, they had to make some big rule changes fast when cars started becoming airborne after they hit something and bounced clear of the ground by enough to kill the ground effects. Even a relatively simple spin at high speed became a problem. It's great that all the tracks have beautifully designed and built gravel traps, but they can't slow down a race car when it's 20 feet in the air tumbling end over end.

If you look at this month's Race Car Engineering you will be amazed at the amount of crap F1 constructors have stuffed into that itty bitty 13 inch wheel. the kers stuff, the discs and calipers, the venting along with all the suspension stuff hovering about increasing the scrub. I'm sure they will welcome this, plus the added adhesion due to the tread patch, it should allow the tires to last longer and perform better. To me, the scrub issue is going to be interesting, back in the day we built a no scrub kart chassis..looked good on paper but..in real life, not so much. It will be good to see what they come up with.

TMO Supporting Vendors