The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ghost 2017 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Hello everyone, I'm looking forward to this forum with the amount of education and friendships that can be earned here. As well I hope to be able to contribute to the cause of Road Racing as well. I am a novice when it comes to seat time as I've only started late this year. Educate coming from the S197 model, is completely different to the S550. As everyone has told, once you hit the track it becomes an addiction, passion and a joy for friendly competition. I will be back in the states in about eight weeks, where I hope there is a SCCA/NASA HPDE going on so I can get started. My goal is to start my way up from the bottom and go as far as I can. Someone once told me truthfully the behind the scenes financial responsibilities racing has and the commitment for this life style. Well I guess I'm all in after some lesson I've received already.

So far this is what has been done to the car

Exterior
:

Black Satin Roof Wrap
Speed Mesh Hood Vents
Cervinis Quarter Louvers

Suspension:
BMR Cradle Lockout (With Steeda Alignment)
Ford Racing Strut Tower Brace and Cowl
BMR Front Subframe

Engine:
Sound Tube Delete Kit

Tires/Wheels:
Stock wheels
Michelin PS 4S 255/45/18

Brakes:
G-Loc R8's

Fluids:
Amsoil 5w20 SS
FRPP FL-820 Filter
BG Products Ultra Guard Heavy Duty and Synco Shift II
Castrol SRF Brake Fluid

Now it's time to go back and re-read these rules and regs of SCCA class to determine where I fit in. And what I can and can't do to the car...when the time is right! Be safe out there everyone!

racetracker_3357437_47652.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tommy J welcome to TMO. Is the photo taken at the Ring?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
@Tommy J welcome to TMO. Is the photo taken at the Ring?

Yes it was taken at Nordschleife, unfortunately I didn't get to run the Grand Prix circuit. Always closed or a event going on. Hopefully I can run Spa in Belgium or Hockenheim before I come home. Once I figure out how to upload video in here, everyone can see some instructions during some rain and wet track moments.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Do you know where you will be returning to?? I assume military. Area has a lot to do with what's available or how much you will need to budget for transport.
Budget...... that's the money you expect to spent. Before things break or wear out. Brakes and tires are easy to predict. You will likely want to progess up from the 8's for pads. Wheels, find what works and fits over brakes and fits into rules for what ever class you want to enter. Bigger is better assuming you are not class limited. Tires, same.
If I had it to do over I would stay with HPDE and go big on suspension, brakes and tires. I have no desire to do wheel to wheel. Those days are behind me.
If wheel to wheel is your path, cool. Several guys here have done so and have the trophys to show for it. Be sure you understand the limitations each potential class has and plan/budget accordingly.
Post up those videos. Please

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Since I'm getting use to old boy in reference to the stopping power, I've been looking at replacing the rotors with the DBA 5000 series T3 two piece rotors. Add some new pads and I'm at the price of the Brembo six piston brakes, which would result in new rims and tires as well. The four pistons work great for my level, but I can't stand to spend unnecessary money when next summer I'd be in need of more stopping power (AP Racing Radi-CAL). Reviews of the Apex 18x11 (tire size unsure..back to the rules and regs to see the limits) seems the route in which I need to go, but I want to research more about the use of Hub kits and ARP Studs. Just seems like issues down the road. Finish off the suspension with BMR and go bankrupt on a JRZ suspension. Just brain storming and your thoughts are appreciated. Back to seeing what classes I could be part of with these upgrades and a few more next year.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
IMO the rotors are a mixed bag. They SHOULD be lighter since they are two-piece, which will help reduce unsprung mass, but at the same time you're not going to see as much (or any) braking benefit compared to just switching to a track-only pad compound and ensuring adequate brake cooling.

Plus with hard use the brake rotors tend to get chewed up every ~4 events or so, typically OEM replacements are cheaper than replacing two-piece rotor rings.

I think you would have good luck, good pad choices, and (relatively) small cash outlay if you were to upgrade to the OEM Performance Pack brake setup in the front. There will be two-piece rotors available for that in due time, as well.

IMO the rotors are a mixed bag. They SHOULD be lighter since they are two-piece, which will help reduce unsprung mass, but at the same time you're not going to see as much (or any) braking benefit compared to just switching to a track-only pad compound and ensuring adequate brake cooling.

Plus with hard use the brake rotors tend to get chewed up every ~4 events or so, typically OEM replacements are cheaper than replacing two-piece rotor rings.

I think you would have good luck, good pad choices, and (relatively) small cash outlay if you were to upgrade to the OEM Performance Pack brake setup in the front. There will be two-piece rotors available for that in due time, as well.

Interestingly enough, I have DBA 4000 t3 rotors. Didn't measure new, but 6 track days and I went through a set of G-loc pads but rotors are 32 mm. I know DBA's run a little thick, but 6 days and they seem to have plenty of life left. What rotors and pads do you use?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Interestingly enough, I have DBA 4000 t3 rotors. Didn't measure new, but 6 track days and I went through a set of G-loc pads but rotors are 32 mm. I know DBA's run a little thick, but 6 days and they seem to have plenty of life left. What rotors and pads do you use?

When I had the OEM Brembos I simply used Centric OEM replacement rotors since they were ~$100/side. I would chew them up with DTC70s or PF01s (PF01s a bit more rotor friendly, however), but now I have the 15" Brembo Pro Kit w/ 35mm rotors. My first set of rotor rings lasted longer than one full season with PF13s and DTC70s up front. And FWIW I run the FTBR 13" rear two-piece rotor set, I am going on two full seasons on those rotors when using DTC60s in the rear.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Nice to see a Mustang on the Nordschleife :)

How long are you staying in Europe to enjoy some of those best tracks in the world?? I'm hoping to get my GT350 over there for a few weeks maybe next year to get it on the NS along with my other track car!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I've been very fortunate to be stationed over here, however I'm living Europe rather soon to goto my next duty station. I just hate that my passion for road racing, the sport and friends I've made over here was so short. Just got into it about a year ago. Nordschleife is just absolutely amazing and couldn't asked for a better track to be trained in during HPDE's. Circuit of Spa Francorhamps was the next track I wanted to get trained on, but it's so damn difficult to schedule because a lot of racing and private venues go on there. Hockenheim is more drag than road racing, so you have to catch the track days when they surprise you with on. I know the tracks back home are extremely different, looking forward to getting into a school, get my license, tracks, TT and prepare for next season.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Having enough time in the car and realizing how different tire/wheel sizes are....why is SCCA changing the rules from 295 to 275? Anyone know? Before I order some 18x11's to start HPDE's and time trails, just trying to answer some questions that make you go "Hummmmmm."

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I've been very fortunate to be stationed over here, however I'm living Europe rather soon to goto my next duty station. I just hate that my passion for road racing, the sport and friends I've made over here was so short. Just got into it about a year ago. Nordschleife is just absolutely amazing and couldn't asked for a better track to be trained in during HPDE's. Circuit of Spa Francorhamps was the next track I wanted to get trained on, but it's so damn difficult to schedule because a lot of racing and private venues go on there. Hockenheim is more drag than road racing, so you have to catch the track days when they surprise you with on. I know the tracks back home are extremely different, looking forward to getting into a school, get my license, tracks, TT and prepare for next season.

I've learned and honed my "skills" on the Nordschleife for 5 years, and I gotta say that the only downside to that is that all the other tracks in the world look either flat, or too wide, or too short compared to the Green Hell. I'm glad you enjoyed your time there, you've probably run into a lot of my friends who are regulars over there (some of the Schirmer BMWs, and the blue Dinoco Opel Speedster is also a very good friend of mine).

I've learned and honed my "skills" on the Nordschleife for 5 years, and I gotta say that the only downside to that is that all the other tracks in the world look either flat, or too wide, or too short compared to the Green Hell. I'm glad you enjoyed your time there, you've probably run into a lot of my friends who are regulars over there (some of the Schirmer BMWs, and the blue Dinoco Opel Speedster is also a very good friend of mine).
You need to head to NorCal. Both Laguna Seca and Sonoma have a lot of elevation change, almost none of the track is flat and even Thunderhill has plenty of elevation change especially if you run the 5 mile track. Road Trip and bring @Black Boss with you!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel